Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Someone drilled holes in my exhuast pipe.

1985 Gl Wagon, 5sp DR, 170K EA82, CA 2bbl roo builders hitachi, stock other than 14" pugs, 185/70 r14

Hi all,

On my passenger side exhuast downtube just before the catalytic converter are two 1/8" dia. holes about 1" apart along the bottom center line of the pipe.

Naturally this makes the car sound like it has a hole in the muffler. But also it sputters and pops when reving down like a suped up muscle car, and has super sluggish throttle response until it gets into the higher rpms. In fact it almost stalls at first unless I work the clutch, which has become second nature now. When I discovered the holes I plugged them with screws and the result was that the moter choked severely on itself when depressing the throttle until it could work up to higher rpm range (2500+).

Any ideas?

Thanks!

P.S. I can't believe people run 31's on their subes. The 14's I have seem to be already really pushing the limits of the gearing and the little teeny engine!

yeah, your car has issues. My old carby EA82 whupped butt. I'd check the accelerator pump. If you take off the air filter housing, and look down the throat of the carb, it should squirt gas in when you snap the throttle open. 83 horse is pretty small, but it feels good when you have it all, which your engine doesn't right now.

I think they drilled holes in it because the cat is plugged.

P.S. I can't believe people run 31's on their subes. The 14's I have seem to be already really pushing the limits of the gearing and the little teeny engine!

Its all in the gearing :brow:

my old XT turbo had that similar problem... although nobody drilled holes in the pipe, the gasket and pipe came apart at the bottom of the downpipe! :eek:

i took it apart and found there was cat material all down the midpipe.. scraped it out with a coat hangar, and it was as good as a real straight pipe!!! wooooooowwweeeee!! (faster)

Yeah Clogged catylitic convertor. Do you have to pass smog inspections in california? If yes. Replace the convertor. If not, you can take all the stuff out of the convertor. with a flexible, but stiff, piece of rod. Just stick it in there and start jabbing. Stuff should come out the back side. It's best to do this with the pipe off. But I believe in most, if not all, states, it's illegal to not have a catylitic convertor. And in California, they're pretty strict.

30x9.5s right now, and gonna beat on some 31x1350s when I can afford it. :rolleyes: Yes, its about gearing, but its also actually accepting the fact that you're not driving all that fast of a car in the first place. ;)