Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New oil Filter on RX

So it seemed that i need to get some Marvs and some new clean oil in so i lift the car up and begin the change thinking itll be a quick maybe 30min job, also bought a decent oill filter to change in since the other one i was kinda skeptical of. 30mins later....STUCK big TIME. The old oil filter was on sooo tight. Seems the last person that put it on wanted to laugh in the face of whoever tired to change it there after. It would not come off, even after my friend and I used the belt synching rachet, then a torque bar converson so i can fit the head on the top of the oil filter, just simply stripped it. In the end i had to impale it with a screwdriver (safely of course makin sure not to also impale my engine) and then rotate the screwdriver to turn the filter. I was swimmin in oil after the whole ordeal. So 2 hrs of labor, trip to the auto store for nothing, and 3 cuts on the hand later, I FINALLY am able to change it out hah. Then hoped right on to workin with my friend to install his STI Spec-C full suspension :brow:. Lesson learned: make sure the filter has a torque top to it to turn off easily or SUMTHIN to make the job easier!

I know way to well what you went thru. Had to do same thing on the XT-6 when I did the 1st oil change on it. Some people just don't understand the meaning of, "Hand tighten only"..

Just be glad it wasn't like the '85 S-10 4X4 2.8L I had a few years back. Same thing with oil filter, on way to tight. Only way to get to filter is thru DS wheel well, really makes for a lovely day to get one off that's been put on to tight.

Yeah some people are just heavy handed. Speaking from personal experience of corse. Try geting an oil filter of an RX 8 at its first oil change since it was put on by a robot in japan, pain in the rump roast spot plus tight as a basturd. I have also come across filters put on by other dealers that are tight as. my point is that some times you just have to persist.