Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 lifter removal?

Ok you wizards, what's the trick to removing the lifters from EA82 heads? I found a set of heads at the JY and some of the lifters came out when I was pulling the valves, most didn't. They seem to be really stuck in there. Is it built up gunk and varnish that has them trapped or is there a trick to removing them? I need to take the heads down to have the guides knurled and valves and seats ground, but figured it was best to removed the lifters before hand. Just to make sure they don't get any grit in them during the process. Thanks!!!

kinf of pull in and out on them, they will lwt go. suction from the oil behind them kind of holds them in. you can wrap the end of the lifter with a rag and tug on it with pliers. also use some kind of starting fluid or brake/carb cleaner and spray it into the oil gallerys that feed the lifters from behind

hows it goin i had the same troubles with mine aye clean up as much of the rubbish around the lifters and i used a magnet to get mine out aye it works a treat just a little pen magnet or somethink or just steal one of you mums good fridge magnets good luck. patt

• 2 months later...

I'm trying to get mine out now. One fell out on its own, 2 more fell out with some hammering on wood on the backside. 5 to go. Cleaned, sprayed then soaked overnight with brake cleaner. No go. Cleaned, dried, then soaked overnight with PB Blaster. No go.

Got one out with pliers, in pieces -- top part pulled off, then pryed the rest out with flathead.

Still have 4 left. All spin freely. Tried pliers a gazillion times. Magnets too. Any tips for getting them out without breaking? Will the broken one be okay once I clip the top back on?

on the broken one, assemble it and make sure everything is in place and moving/working properly. the cap that holds it together has crimps in it, i would suspect that cap cracked when it popped off. if not reuse it, but otherwise you'll want to replace it. you can get rebuilt HLA's (lifters) from mitzpah engineering, look them up on yahoo or do a search here. they are only like 5 or 6 bucks each, not worth installing a questionable old one for that cheap.

i don't bother installing them all pumped up, they have always been difficult to install all pumped up in my experience. maybe at first, but by the time they are lying sideways like they get when installed in the engine bay they always seem to have play. doesn't matter, if your oil system is working properly (which should be the case 99 percent of the time) they tap for awhile at first start up but then smooths out quickly. i never have any tapping issues after the first start up gets them pumped up.

on removing, they can be really annoying. i just leave the ones that are really stuck in when i take them to a machine shop and they always seem to get them out.