Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XADO - anyone ever heard of it or used it?

Brian - Technically speaking, the basis of XADO Technology is a magnesium silicate compound. It does much more than just 'squish' soft metal into the surface for a temporary improvement. The results are not really very similar at all. If it's of any interest to you, XADO has factory authorized distributors in 38 countries, the U.S. being one of the latest. See www.xado.com . We are also patented in 11 countries. Sorry you didn't hear about it first.

I don't know what XADO is (hey Xadoman, what's Xado?), but I know molybdenum sulfides are added to motor oil for a very similar effect - the molybdenum fills in rough patches on metal surfaces, "repairing" wear, reducing friction. Most of the high-mileage motor oils have such additives in them already.

In worn engines, I could see a surface-smoothening additive improving efficiency, but I would not expect miracles. If there were miracle additives, you'd have heard about them, and Exxon-Mobil, Chevron, Sopus, and everyone else would be trying to sell them to you. So I guess I'll believe it when I hear it from a megabillionaire.

Good, cuz' I have a set of heads that the guides are just slightly out of spec on and I want to install them on my '91 Loyale soon. So, I think I'll get all the seals and gaskets needed to do the job and then budget in the XADO treatment and see how it works. If it works as advertised, it should help all the parts that are oil wetted and exposed to friction, correct?

KStretch - XADO will work on the valve guides to the extent that they are getting oil. Depends mainly on the condition of your valve stem seals. Over the course of several hundred miles, its not uncommon to see a noticable difference.

SuBrat - In truth, I only have experience with one such case. A local dealer of mine used XADO in an old Opel. His goal was to get the oil pump working better so he could sell it. Apparently this pump is no longer available and he had a customer looking for one. the initial treatment worked just fine, in fact the hot oil pressure rose from 5# to 25#. So, anyway, I heard about all this after he had dismantled the pump so I explained to him that I was concerned that the effect would be lost upon re-assembly. A week later he called to tell me he had put the thing back together and, unfortunately, he was back at 5#. He tried the re-treatment thing but when I talked to him this morning, the pump still wasn't responding, even after several weeks. So, here's my opinion of what's going on, since the parts have been freshly coated, even though the fit is not optimum, there's just not enough friction available to trigger the nano-chemical reaction that makes XADO work. Bob is now faced with moving the pump gear one tooth at a time until he gets it back where it originally was. If you decide on a tear down soon after using XADO, you should METICULOUSLY mark the position of EVERY part in the system before disassembly. Of course, you still have to hope you get all the torques exactly as they were before, etc, etc. The call is yours, but this is my two cents worth.

If you liked the results.. and then put the engine back together... couldn't you just re-treat it??

88 - XADO doesn't 'cook'. The coating will be applied to your turbo bearings just as it would any other friction pair, as it is needed. After using XADO, some people tell me they can still hear their turbos spooling down as they are walking away from their vehicle.

i wonder what it would do if that cooked inside my turbo bearings..

KStretch - absolutely correct!

Good, cuz' I have a set of heads that the guides are just slightly out of spec on and I want to install them on my '91 Loyale soon. So, I think I'll get all the seals and gaskets needed to do the job and then budget in the XADO treatment and see how it works. If it works as advertised, it should help all the parts that are oil wetted and exposed to friction, correct?

I put some Bi-Tron additive in my car which made similar claims.

Biggest bunch of tossers ever to deal with (half order, was promised things which 2 months later have yet to arrive!). Put it in my engine, you know... noisy tappets (2). Well, after the treatment they are all noisy. I have a gearbox treatment and an unused engine treatment i got spare also. I am so pissed with their "customer service" and attitude + the product didn't work... it won't go near my Sube... heck not even my whipper snipper! If anyone wants it - you pay postage and its yours.

Additives are risks imo. Just do it right, rebuild if necessary. The oil manufacturer has done the job to lubricate the engine... nothing else is required. But Bi-Tron made big claims it was worth a shot, now my mind is made up. 100% pure oil in my crankcase and trans!

http://www.bi-tronaustralia.com/page3.html - Heres a link if you want to figure if this additive if different to the XADO.

P.s. its nice to have a company rep here helping us out... but marketing is all about making you think you need products you really don't have a use for. Sure, if it worked... sign me up, but its going to take a lot of arse licking to get me there:cool:

86 - Average retail price for a tube of our Gel for Gas Engines is $39.99. We have several guys selling it via the web. Check the Dealer section of our web site. Call me at 888-399-9090 to work out the sample thing. I'm more than willing to let the product do its own talking. :)

what is the price of 1 tube ? if your willing to send out a sample ,i will try it in my 88 turbo a/t awd wagon w/ 102,000mi , and of course i will post all results , good or bad

Ron - Yes, XADO will increase your compression. (unless you have a cracked piston or a bent valve, or something like that) That's certainly a key element of the results. A significant reduction in friction also plays a big role.

100,000 miles... you're still running it in. You should have good compression in that. Wouldn't that be the key in this? If it works - More compression??