Ultimate Subaru Message Board

differences between GL-10 and XT6 seats?

hi,

recently I caught a glimpse of a set of XT6 seats in a friend's wagon...is there any functional difference between these and the seats in my GL-10? I'm thinking about picking a set of these up mainly for the reason that they look about 100 times nicer than mine (i don't really like the drab blue-gray interior in my car, heh) and the fabric seems a bit more durable. I already have the height adjust and lumbar and stuff, just wondering what other differences there are other than the fabric -- same height? any difference in side bolstering? etc... thanks.

the xt6 seats sit lower. good for being tall, you sit down in the car more like an ea81. the reason they sit lower is because the lower roof in the xt

the xt6 still has the height adjust. in fact, to swap in the xt seats you will have to swap the tracks. good thing, the tracks coming from the gl-10 you can keep the height adjust

it takes a bit of mild modification...

to swap the tracks you will need a allen head or a #3 phillips or both to take the tracks off the bottom. also you will have to separate the inge for thw adjust part.

since the rail is linger on one side you will have to drill a hole and add a bolt and a spacer, a lugnut or something similar will work for a spacer

the slide forward part, the teeth for the track will have to be bent out slightly so they release. the cable across the tracks for the teeth on the other side will have to be re-bent to take some slack out, as the one you will be using is slightly too long

sounds kinda complicated but once you have them apart you will see what im referring to right easily

I'm not terribly impressed by the stock GL-10 seats comfort wise, but the standard I'm going by is Volvo 240 seats, which isn't exactly fair -- when the floor on that car finally rusted out part of me really wanted to take the seats out, bolt them to a piece of wood, and stick them in the living room. I'm not sure that would've made me terribly popular around the house though ;]

how much lower is "much lower"? can I frankenstein the mounting bits in such a way that I won't lose the height? I'm 6'1" and fit fine with the GL-10 seats, wouldn't want to be much taller, but I've yet to hit my head....on the other hand my wife is like 5'4" and I don't want to make her sit on a phone book =]

You can try them late this week if you'd like ;)

And it isn't exactly an easy swap, there are a couple ways to do it, I like mine best, but it involved welding, and plasma cutters and stuff. I can help you, and show you a couple things, otherwise, you can have my old GL seats, which are a bit better fabric than yours, without the height adjustment. your seats look really cheap and crappy compared to EITHER set of GL seats I have, maybe it was an option you didn't get....

awe screw that man just swap in legacy or impreza seats, im 6'5'' and i can fit in my car still, the impeza seats i got are about 1.5'' higher in the front and the same height as the stock GL seats in the back, more like racing seats:brow: .

~Josh~

the xt seats will sit lower in the lowest position but you can still raise it! i sit with the lowest position but i may raise it up and down on long trips if my butt goes numb

but raised up you should still sit as high as you were int eh gl 10 seat

one thing i dont like about my xt seat is that it doesnt sit upright all the way for me, im tall but i dont like to have to lean forward for the shifter and radio, if it went one more notch forward i would be happy. but i have4 lumbar to make for it

but the xt seats will let yoiu ride with the gangster lean so if you prefer

all i can say is give it a shot and adjust your seat as usual and you will find a comfortable position