Ultimate Subaru Message Board

*sigh* dealers!

i'm kinda bored 2-nite so i guess i should tell you guys my story. last monday i call my dealer to see if i can get my key done by them you know to have a genuine subaru key. anyway i call end explain my situation. i told them that i had a friend helping me with this (actually LeakingOil is helping me) and i told them that my friend told me that they could make the key by the VIN# or just cut it for me. anyway at the end the guy at the dealer told me that he did't have the equip. to cut the key then he told me that they could only do 2000-present models. oh yeah i also asked if they can do it by the key# and he told me that that was not possible because the key# was gonna be hard to find. i got pissed and told him this "the key # is not hard to find because I HAVE THE KEY # WRITTEN IN FRONT OF ME IN MY WARRENTY BOOKLET. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: ." so i hang up and started to laugh called my dad and told him the story and he told me this," just because its an 85'? their dumb. why don't you call another dealer?" BTW: the dealer i called was the dealer where my suby was purchased NEW. (hee know this because i have the warrenty booklet with all the info in it, heck i have the whole package, owners manual, and warrenty booklet in its original packaging).

i'm kinda bored 2-nite so i guess i should tell you guys my story. last monday i call my dealer to see if i can get my key done by them you know to have a genuine subaru key. anyway i call end explain my situation. i told them that i had a friend helping me with this (actually LeakingOil is helping me) and i told them that my friend told me that they could make the key by the VIN# or just cut it for me. anyway at the end the guy at the dealer told me that he did't have the equip. to cut the key then he told me that they could only do 2000-present models. oh yeah i also asked if they can do it by the key# and he told me that that was not possible because the key# was gonna be hard to find. i got pissed and told him this "the key # is not hard to find because I HAVE THE KEY # WRITTEN IN FRONT OF ME IN MY WARRENTY BOOKLET. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: ." so i hang up and started to laugh called my dad and told him the story and he told me this," just because its an 85'? their dumb. why don't you call another dealer?" BTW: the dealer i called was the dealer where my suby was purchased NEW. (hee know this because i have the warrenty booklet with all the info in it, heck i have the whole package, owners manual, and warrenty booklet in its original packaging).

Yeah that sounds about right.... I work at the subaru dealer in portland, and our policy on KEY's made by VIN # is anything older than like 90 or so we can't cut one for by the VIN # since all KEY Numbers are stored in Subaru of America's Dealer Website that has a database of all subaru's sold at dealers from 90 and up usually, anything that is older has allready been purged or deleted. So they are prolly not lying to you, but if you allready have the KEY# for your car then its pretty easy at that point, since they have to do is punch in that # into thier key machine and it will cut it. Be prepared to have your REGISTRATION ready to present to them because that is our policy at my dealer for Custom KEY's made by VIN#.

Yeah that sounds about right.... I work at the subaru dealer in portland, and our policy on KEY's made by VIN # is anything older than like 90 or so we can't cut one for by the VIN # since all KEY Numbers are stored in Subaru of America's Dealer Website that has a database of all subaru's sold at dealers from 90 and up usually, anything that is older has allready been purged or deleted. So they are prolly not lying to you, but if you allready have the KEY# for your car then its pretty easy at that point, since they have to do is punch in that # into thier key machine and it will cut it. Be prepared to have your REGISTRATION ready to present to them because that is our policy at my dealer for Custom KEY's made by VIN#.
oh yeah they asked me for registration too. as a matter of fact i'm gonna just walk in tho my dealer and give them the key #. and also are you saying that i can use the key # insread of the VIN? PM if you want with the answer. thanks

its policy at dealers to show registration to the car that the key is being cut, for "theft prevention" purposes..

and the maching cutting thingy, the code-decoder thing for the older keys is different than the new ones.. so they might not actully have it-

try a lock smith, most cases, they can actually cut you a key to the correct fit with just the code (buy a key blank from the dealer, uncut)

No dealer is dumb enough to get rid of their key cutting machine for the 90 vehicles, they are they same from 85-99, and there are a lot of 95-99 Subarus still going to the dealership for work. Does that mean that they can't cut key for any of those customers. BS.

The dealership that I work with gets me key made all the time for customers using the 4 digit number. They have even helped with the VIN #, although that is sometimes hit or miss depending on age of vehicle and if the dealership that recieved the vehicle new put it into the data base. If you can't get any satisfaction locally, PM me and I will get you the help you need if you have the 4 digit #.