Ultimate Subaru Message Board

exhaust question

I am not sure where to put this but since it is on a older generation of a soob ill put it here. I am going to get a new exhaust put on. What is the best muffler that i should get. a cherybomb? a turbo? If anything different, tell me i would like to know.and if a glasspack, how long?

thanx

get the cherry bomb! i assume you are putting it in place of the stock muffler

if you were going with all new y-back exhaust, i would say put the 'bomb at the y flange and 2 inch back

if going in the stock location get a 2 or 2 1/4 diameter, and put a 2 1/2 pipe for a tail pipe, it will sound super mean

If you want hunting quiet go with the turbo. Anything else will have too much noise to work for hunting. Keep the Y-pipe the same diameter as stock. After that you can open it up a bit. This will retain back pressure and allow it to flow. I have spent big $$ on exhaust systems over the last few years experimenting with different set ups and sizes. If you have the time and money I can recommend a good guy in Sumner(east of Tacoma). But, he isn't cheap. For the entire system it would run about $300.00 with a turbo muffler. Magnaflow's, cherry bombs and glass packs are noisier mufflers designed to have a distinct sound. The turbo's are designed to be quieter.

Yeah cherrybombs arent for hunting. $300 for a good setup aint bad; I'd hit Qman up on that guy he knows. I've spent way more than that on variouse custom setups I've done over the years. $300 in the hands of someone who knows exactly whats up with exhuast will go a lot further :)

what if i go with a long 'bomb? i think i am going to go to a guy in town. and i dont have much money:lol: This should give me a litle more horsepower shouldnt it? Well i m heading up to put on at about 3. Im not sure whether to go with a cherrybomb or a turbo? i think the turbo will suit my needs better.

I've also tried many different combinations on 1.8liter Soob engines and in my view the best was stock y-pipe with 2" custom bent back to a Dynomax turbo muffler. This result gives a little less torque at low rpms but much more top end performance on the freeway. The sound level increased slightly around town and moderately at full throttle.

Larger than stock y-pipes lost major hp, probably due to scavenging like Ken said. Tubing larger than 2" loses too much lowend for crawling along in the woods. A Weber carb is pretty much a given...that'll help bring back some low end torque. You might need to rejet the carb after changing the exhaust.

I used a Dynomax muffler because it was a perfect fit and the price was right. Don't know if they still sell them but I got it out of JCWhitney for under $30 and it was an fit (6" round by stock length and offset 2" inlet & outlet.) The difference between generic and the Dynomax is that the Generics don't have the radius pieces inside to help the flow and the Dynomax is fairly rust resistant. Some oval shaped staight through mufflers can also be fairly quiet.

i went with a turbo 2 muffler by cherry bomb, got it at AZ for $15 bucks. it sounds nice and quiet for the first month or 2 then you wil notice a little noise after that but not too much.kinda gives the car the sound of a bad or leaking turbo lol

another good muffler that i have liked is a thrush muffler, i have 1 on my 4 cyl plymouth breeze and it sounds decent on a 4cyl, got that 1 at advanced for 20 i think.