Ultimate Subaru Message Board

suby won't start!!!!

my suby won't start, i've check for air,gas,spark and its all there. if it does start i have to keep my foot in it to keep it going and it still dies, i haven't got it to start in the past couple of days. i do have a gasket that is leeking water i'm not sure were it is i can see water, its kind of by the tranny, but i don't think that it would have any effect on it. see this all started after a day of mudding, when she started over heating and and cv shaft going out. i thought that it was overheating because to much mud was caked in the raidator, and low on water. so if any one has any ideas why she won't start it would be much help. i'm going to tow it to my dads house tomorrow so i can start taking her apart to fix that gasket.

your leak may be an intake gasket, generally that will leak into the intake ports.

another place to check is the little coolant hose between the thermostat housing and the block. there is also another hose on the back of the throttle body if your ride is spfi. also check the heater hose clamps

you can inspect the timing belts by removing the oputer cover on each side, and run through the timing belt alignment procedure.

its possible the belt may have shed a tooth, causing it to jump

another thing its possible for the disty to jump if the cam retainer bots are stripped out, causing the cam to walk and jump a tooth.

Cool, thats an excellent place to start. Some belts have a habbit of throwing teeth which cause it to slip and jump. The car will start to run horrible and before long it simply won't go.

Give that a go and come back and report your findings. It can't be stressed enough how bad overheating these cars are. Once it start to get a little hot, turn it off and investigate. The all alloy engine will warp when overheated.

This may sound wierd but make your your alternator connection is solid. Along with battery and all. I know you said you are getting spark. It is still possible that the alternator lead does not have a 5x5 Connection. This has killed my 87 GL more than once. Good luck, Hope to hear what the problem is was? p.s. You say it is getting fuel, hopefully enough, hows the Fuel Filter looking? If you were mud bogging you could have jostled loose some debris in your Gas Tank (i.e. Rust) It might have plugged your Filter enough to slow pressure. I know this will piss some people off but if all else fails try some Sea Foam.

the fuel filter is like 2 months old, it got gloged well i was test driving it. other things i know about the car it that it cam failur for some reason i couldn't find out why, and the time belt was replace not to long be for i bought the car. for some reason the valvecovers seem to have some sort of part number written on the them with like a srachall.i was going to write down the number when i replace the gaskets but my hands were cover in oil and dirt.

to remove the cam pulley on the driver side. behind the pulley there is a retainer that holds the cam in place and houses the seal. check to see if the bolts are stripped out

i saw a motor theat mysteriously jumped a notch on the disty, i found this cam retainer's bolts were stripped out, causing the cam to walk and jumping the disty, breaking off a tooth on the gear of the cam. i had to replace the cam tower and cam drom a spare motor

just something to look for, my biggest pet peeve is working on a soob after some jack stick hillbilly screwed it up and have to restore it back to subaru order.

did it ever run and idle okay? after replacing the gaskets, seals still wont idle try the choke adjustment, rich-lean? Check the idle. you know the basic stuff. Good luck need any parts I have EA-82 motor parts, trans and other general parts.83 Wagon, 4sp, D/R 167k

84 Hatch 4sp, D/R 145k

86 Wagon AT, parked

yeah i found out that it wasn't a blown head gasket. its like really close to the tranny on the driver side, goign to try and jb weld it. she starts but then she will die. like maf is unpluged. could i have damaged the maf if i didn't have an air filter on?

I don't think you damaged the MAF, at least just by removing the filter. You may want to check the codes to see if that will give a hint to the problem. It sounds to me that that you are not getting fuel to the engine when running. You could try spraying some starter fluid into the intake when it tries to stall to see if that will keep it going. If it helps then you need to see why fuel is being stopped somehow. It may be the ECU stops seeing the CAS pulses and shuts things down.

i have her running again, but i still have a water leak that that jb weld kind of sealed up, there is a lot more water pressure coming out of the same area, and i think i might have water coming out of my muffler but it could be from washing it cause ther are some small holes in places.