Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Explain to me this whole "wastegate system" on the EA82T

So im having some very wierd boost problems. Couple weeks ago my car was hitting 14psi, and i was able to ride at 9-10psi on the freeway constantly.

Now my RX wont climb above 6 psi and it seems to hit 4-5psi then creep alittle to 6... maybe 7psi if im on the freeway.

I believe some of the hoses leading to the wastegate are leaking. I have new, replacement hose and want to replace everything when I install my MBC, but I still dont understand what everything is in there. I see a solenoid as well, and hear I can disable it.

Just alittle worried before my engine grenades.

-Brian

If the hose to your wastegate was leaking then you'd be making more boost not less. When I blew a wastegate hose off I boosted to 20+ psi really quick!

The wastegate sol. is actuated by pos. pres. pushing on the diaphram's surface which then moves the arm connected to the wastegate valve. I don't know too much about the 87 system but my guess your uppipe is cracked or the gasket is shot, feel around where your turbo meets the uppipe for any exhaust gas leaks, give it some throttle while you do this by moving the throttle cable. No leaks? then it might be that your turbo is on it's last legs or you have an unrelated prob that is not allowing you to develop the exhaust needed to spool.

Everything is secure now. I just re-installed my intercooler (had to remove it for smog issues). everything is secure, i need to re-route my BPV. I looked around at my wastegate and all the hoses.

I heard when i install my Manual Boost Controller, i can bypass the ECU Solenoid on the wastegate.

Will my ECU mind if its gone?

-Brian

i dont think it will notice unless you hit fuel cut or something. does your wastegate actuator line come out from around the strut tower? i know on mine it does, not sure what other years are like that. anyway, i put my boost controller on that line, and it doesnt throw any codes.

Leave the electrical connection to the WGS connected and the ECU will

not get it's panties in a bunch.

There are three (3) lines to the WGS

1) from the output side of the turbo

2) to the waste gate mounted beside the turbo

3) breather to the MAF to turbo pipe

Put #1 on the input to the MBC,

put #2 to the output of the MBC

plug #3

Here is an electric boost control devise I used

for some time.

boostcntrlsw.jpg

simple setup there skip nice ..but i must know

whats the load rating on that pressure switch "amp wise" and how well does it handle the long term effects of turning that solenoid off and on?

might work well on my wife's turbo mini van