Ultimate Subaru Message Board

stubern intake bolts?

I am doing the left side head gasket. I got most of the stuff out of the way, but am having trouble with the intake bolts. I dont want to brake them off. Some one told me to heat them and smack em with a hammer. Will this work or is it a bad idea? I have been soaking them with Blaster. Thanks

They rust up at the bottom of the threads deep in the heads. It's really a poor design :( Soak the seat of the bolt head and pray that some seaps accross the bolt/intake surface, down the long bolt, and into the threads.

Heating and smacking might break loose some of that thick, nasty powder of corroded metal that is surely packed in around the threads at the bottom portion of the bolt. They are long bolts so if you are applying heat at the head it will have to get really hto for the end where it's stuck the most to really get hot.

I've twisted off several now. The usually break above the head surface so you can get the intake manifold off and then use vice grips to get the rest of the bolt out.

Good luck.

i like heating up the aluminum in on the head with a propane torch...

the idea is to heat up the head so the hole expands, while keeping the bolt relatively colder...

if that doesnt work. you can heat up the bolt, let it expand, let it cool down a bit, then try and twist it out. dont break it off, not fun to drill that thing out, and retap it.

here are some ways to get this bolt out. all of these techniques have worked for me on intake manifold bolts and are very easy (easier with two people) :

this is the easiest way to get one out, but requires that the bolt did come out a little bit (they often do). use a huge pry bar (i think mine is 8 foot). has a perfect V shape at the end for fitting under the head of the bolt. if you don't have one, use something else long with leverage that you can get under it (even a claw hammer will work okay). tyipcally you'll need some 2x4 pieces or somethign else under the pry bar/hammer to get the right angle for applying pressure. get it under the head of the bolt (that's why you need it to come out a little bit) and pry up on it while simutaneously unscrewing the bolt. you're not trying to pry it out (YET!! ha ha), just putting pressure on it. dont' try to break anything, but don't go easy either, put some stank into it. don't know why, but it works. easier with two people, one to apply upward pressure and you to turn it out. i've had them come right out like this, it's a wonderful feeling to see that thing come right out.

i've always at least gotten the bolt to turn. so long as you can turn it, tighten the bolt and then untighten it...do this multiple times. if it comes out at all, spray PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench (not WD40, the others work better) down the hole between motions of screwing/unscrewing. it may work itself out.

one time on a very old soob (not mine) i actually had to cut the freaking thing off between the intake and head (seriously annoying) because the head broke off and the rest of the bolt was left in the manifold. doubt you'll have that problem, every bolt on that car was rusted. every single radiator fan bolt sheared off too! got to the point where i was moving really fast because every bolt took 1 turn to get off, snap!

good luck,

if the bolt is stubborn use steady even torque, it should break free. you dont wanbt to torque the bolt faster than it can flex/unscrew as this will twist it off. just be slow and paitent, even pressure on the torque, dont pull too hard or too fast, take your time nice and steady.