Ultimate Subaru Message Board

10-15 min of ping then all is well?!?!?!

OK, Ive been fighting a ping for the past few months now and it is starting to annoy me. I've retarded the timing back to 18deg and put in new plugs. Next up for replacement is cap/rotor & Wires. What's got me baffled is that it only lasts 10-15 min then it goes away. Water temp usually hovers around 1/4 up on the needle. I have noticed it more if the HLA's are sewing me a quilt under the hood, but I don't know if that is a coincidence or not.

Now today, I was waiting to cross a busy road and floored it. A little sputter the it picks up, slowly. I look down and the CEL is on. Haven't checked to codes yet, but I suspect an o2 sensor and wonder if the o2 sensor is causing the ping. Sometimes after stopping, just after accelleration it will hiccup then get going again. Not sure if all these are related or not??!! Even with the ping and other problems it still gets 28-30mpg on the 3AT and thats usually scooting down the interstate @ 3900-4200rpm. Anyone out there have a ping/problems like this? What's the cause/solution? Thanks!

p.s. I have tried all octanes of gas and run 2 cans of seafoam through the tank and no difference... :banghead:

Pinging is caused by many things. Most often, an engine running lean. Not getting enough fuel. This can be caused by fuel restriction, or problem with emission control system, ie O2 sensor that sends wrong info to computer. Also caused by carbon build up in cylinders...though seafoam should have fixed that. I'd check fuel delivery system first. Also ignition system???

does it only ping when you start it when the car is cold? ie, after warming the car up, shutting it off, then starting again shortly thereafter, does it ping?

If so, it would seem to point to the coolant temp sensor to my feeble mind. It wouldn't hurt to clean the contacts if nothing else.

does it only ping when you start it when the car is cold? ie, after warming the car up, shutting it off, then starting again shortly thereafter, does it ping?

If so, it would seem to point to the coolant temp sensor to my feeble mind. It wouldn't hurt to clean the contacts if nothing else.

Thats exactly what it does. :-\ If I've been running for like 20 min and stop for gas, when I get back on the road ping city. I will go away mostly if I floor it then coast, but that is not a solution. I checked AutoZone and they want $100 for a new sensor...:eek:! I tried cleaning the contacts today and no difference. Anybody got one out there? Would one out a j-yard be OK? Oh and I tried to check the codes and couldn't find the right connectors to disconnect /connect to get into diagnostic mode. Help!?!:banghead: Thanks all...

Have you found out what that code is? What type of fuel system? MPFI or SPFI?

Since it does it during warmup, I would doubt it's the O2 sensor. I would also check coolant temp, maf, and tps.

This is an SPFI system. As far as the codes...look above, thanks

I believe there should be a pair of connectors (one set white and the other green) right by the wiper motor on the driver's side. You need to plug the white ones in, turn the key on with the engine off and watch the LED on the ECU under the steering collum near your feet.

Have you read the writeup in the USRM?

Hope this points you in the right direction.

I had a pinging problem 3 yrs. ago and eventually it went away..I would first of all try reading the ecu codes(if any) and use Seafoam again but not thru the tank (that is for maintenance) ..for cleaning the top of the pistons and intake valves, seafoam recommends slowly injecting the product thru an intake port of some kind that feeds all the cylinders more directly with a stronger solution...change the O2 sensor with a universal one ($20) along with changing temp sensor($27US)(35) in Canada from the subaru dealer(make sure that the terminals of the sensor are clean...(you can check the operation of the sensor with an Ohm meter)...make sure that the thermostate is not sticking closed to long which would cause the motor to run hot at the beginning of your drive thus causing ping... also check to make sure that there are no air pockets in your cooling system (usually caused by useing the wrong thermostate, the one without the little hole in it) air pockets can cause symptoms that would make the thermostate look bad..check the timing with a "back to O" timing light to make sure that the timing is advanceing smoothly...finally clean out the inside of the MAF with an eletronics cleaner..go one colder with your spark plugs..subaru recommends 3 diff. plugs for the same vechicle..BPR6ES-11(standard)//7ES-11(colder)//5ES-11(hotter)..Good luck

...make sure that the thermostate is not sticking closed to long which would cause the motor to run hot at the beginning of your drive thus causing ping...

Factory spec is 192 on the stat...should I go with a 180 to help the problem or just a new 192 stat? Thanks and I'll try the MAF cleaning...exactly what should I clean with the spray?

In my case with one of the cars I have, the real problem was caused by too much carbon in the combustion area/heads,pistons and it pinged all the time with a slight throttle acceleration...I would suggest to take the thermostate out and drive without it to see if it pings and of course if it doesn't ping, problem solved,simply put in a new thermostate( I drove without one from Alaska to Michigan and the car never pinged once,but now it ran to cool)..180 would benefit the older cars (make sure you get one with the little wigler)... any auto parts store should have a spray cleaner specifically for cleaning auto electronics...take the MAF off the car for cleaning and also check the connecting harness to it making sure that there is no corrsion on the terminals and the wires are in good shape....In my case which is different from you, I retarded the timing a bit/colder plug/89 octane/170deg. thermostate from subaru which I had to grind down around the edges to fit the older car...LET me know one way or the other how you made out

...make sure that the thermostate is not sticking closed to long which would cause the motor to run hot at the beginning of your drive thus causing ping...

Factory spec is 192 on the stat...should I go with a 180 to help the problem or just a new 192 stat? Thanks and I'll try the MAF cleaning...exactly what should I clean with the spray?

ECM Code Update: 3 codes found

1. Code 34 EGR valve

2. Code 35: Purge Control :confused:

3. Code 42: Idle Switch

I'm guessing that the EGR is what set off the CEL, I can't imagine all happening at once, but...

So does any of this have to do with my pinging problems? Or is it all a seperate issue. Thanks for the comments!

it is hard to say if the EGR is the real problem for the pinging...at least once in any subi it needs to have a very complete tune-up...it makes it a lot easier to deal with problems when they come up...less items to check and chase down...if you haven't already, I would try first of all to remove the thermostate completely and drive the car as you normally do, just to rule out any possibility that your car isn't slightly running hot which the temp gauge may not pick-up