Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How much..

1987, Subaru Wagon, Manual, 4X4, good tires, good glass, clean interior, fresh tune-up, new breaks, Break mechanic said front C.V ready for replacement, I am guessing 180K miles on engine...... bad... Turbo is blown.

Subaru mechanic stopped by and offered the guy $200.

The homeowner said it is mine for $300.

I know nothing of Turbo's... but could learn if it is that good of a deal. possibly.

Your thoughts.

If you got the $300 and you know it's just a blown turbo? I'd say go for it... if it's like a blown gasket or something.. you gotta ask yourself how much work you're willing to put into a rebuild? Axle is no big deal you can get 'em for ~$75 a piece.

The description of the condition of the body is conspicuously missing. If it’s not all rusted and busted up it should easily be worth the money. Even if there were something else significantly wrong it would be worth it. But that also depends on how much you enjoy working on cars and soliciting help/scrounging parts on this message board ! ! !

paint is a bit faded... but body is excellent. (no rust-quick look)

I was told on the 87 and olders they have to be taken into the shop and changed... either whole car or each knuckle & axel. $150. each side.

Enjoy working on them as all new to me.....

hmmmm.... my wife would kill me..... gosh.. $300... digging in pockets.. this is so embarissing... sooo poor... where is my first born...

You can do the shafts yourself but it depends on what you have for tools and a workspace. It's not exactly fun and it will take you most of a day the first time you try it if you do the bearings too. Some of the veterans will say they can do it in like 20 minutes or something ridiculous like that. There are tricks and good write ups on this site on how to do it.

Even if you have to do the bearings you should be able to do both sides for around $150. But it appears to be common for the right side to go first because the head from the catalytic converter nukes the boot.

I should add the disclamer that the above comments are based on my experience with EA81's (prior to '84), but I am almost postive that the '87 is the same in regard to replacing the shafts.

The year has nothing to do with taking it to a shop and having the axles done. This is a job done by a average Joe mechanic.

On the other hand, a turbo wagon for that price seems a little suspisious to me. Check the oil and water and make sure they arent mixed. Ask about how the car was running for the owner to determine the turbo was/is bad also. If it blows white oil/smoke out the tail pipe, the seal is gone on the turbo.

Bearings arent normally changed when doing axles, they will last for a real long time, unless the seal is bad and water/dirt gets in there contaminating the bearing.

Good luck on it, to bad you werent closer to this side.

My wife made some comment about...oh paying house payment, food... power bill and a bathroom that still needs to be remodeled... so not only no ... but HELL NO! I still have an 88 wagon over in Seattle that still hasn't made it home...

I think this is a no brainer from everyones posts... just cash isn't in my hand... and if I upset the wife much more... that's all I may have left for fun. :-\

Later.

Also, Thx for all the quick replies and information as no knowledege of Turbos, and I would have called him first thing in the morn.