Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Irate About a window problem..

Power windows..

My dang window has been stuck down for 3 weeks.. story behind it goes as follows..

Paycheck comes in, pay off debts, have enough money to either get heater blower motor and a water pump (which i needed really bad, i drive at nights, so a window stuck down without heat wasn't fun)..

Or to get the window fixed..

So, I get the water pump and heater blower motor, I go 3 weeks without a window thinking the heater would get me by.. it did, except on the highway...

Payday!!! New power window motor!! (After a 2 day special order and 120$ and a 25$ core)...

SAME THING NOW! damn thing will roll down (sometimes, rarely), but not want to roll back up, and when it does start rolling back up, it (the motor) starts to get weak, then stops half way up.. or doesnt work at all..

Now, I'm lookin at a 120$ window motor that doesnt work and im furious! I'm going to a speedy to get it fixed because I'm p!ss3D..

It'll be worse depending on how much they charge me to fix it, and to probably buy a new regulator (which is the only thing I can think of that could be the problem, i forgot to mention earlier, but all of the other windows work just fine except for the drivers side front window)

I just said screw it and pulled everything out of the door including the window itself and all the insides.. (definately know where im going next time for a weight reduction... the doors weigh about 1 pound with nothing in them!)

Anyway, I'll finish my ranting on my way to the glass shop (and more than likely the bank).. Cya

Where in the US are you?

Might want to find an auto glass shop that will do a free diagnostic for you. We do them and I would hope another smaller company would do the same.

Hate to see you spending money when you are not positive what the problem is.

would have to second the switch being the problem - not the motor.

on the other half's car, drivers side window would not work at all till we swapped in a "new" old switch and ran the wires direct, bypassing the relays. nothing wrong with his motor, just wasnt getting a good enough connection thru the switch.

Your statement about the window rolling up slowly makes me think that there may be a problem with the window regulator. The switch energizes a relay to turn on the motor so when the window doesn't move at all then that may be due to a dirty switch. There may be two problems to deal with here. You should be able to figure out how to bypass the switch to see if that is the problem. Sometimes the wires get damaged in the harness from the door movement so be aware of that also.

In my 50 years of living I have yet to see a power window setup that does not cause grief.

this is why when I found a donor car with cranks I gutted my failed power window doors and installed cranks in '85 wagon.

I understand that this is probably not an option for you, just saying is all.

I hate power windows.

For example, I bought a 1998 Chevy 3/4 ton pickup 2003, with 6000 miles. Power windows started failing before 10,000 miles. (And GM wonders why their bonds are now junk?)

Anyway, power windows suck. We can build a space station but-------------

Pyro

Probably a 98% chance the problem is the master switch in the driver side door. Clean contacts or replace this switch.

Reason the window moves slowly when it does work is resistance at the master sitch is so high very little current makes it to the motor. If you as a test just hotwire the window motor I wager it will fly up and down.

I did some looking in my manual and I noticed that the driver's window motor is set up a little different than the rest of the window circuits. I assume this is because it has the automatic roll down feature. The power to the driver's side window motor comes directly from a control box while the rest of the window motors are provided power through their local switches.

Can you tell us more please about the process of getting the inner door panels

off? Is there a special tool required, etc?

Thanks,

James

Power windows..

I just said screw it and pulled everything out of the door including the window itself and all the insides.. (definately know where im going next time for a weight reduction... the doors weigh about 1 pound with nothing in them!)

Anyway, I'll finish my ranting on my way to the glass shop (and more than likely the bank).. Cya

Can you tell us more please about the process of getting the inner door panels

off? Is there a special tool required, etc?

Thanks,

James

On the door handle, there should be some little square thingies that can pried out. Behind these are some long phillips head screws. Remove them and the door handle will come off.

The plastic piece around the door lock/un-latch handle needs to be removed as well. I usually start prying carefully from the end of the latch that pivots. After that just kinda mess with it to get the rest of the way out.

Once those are off, you can unsnap the door panel from the door. Starting on the bottom, the manual says to use a putty knife or similar to slowly pop the door panel out. It has these 'snaps' to the door all the way around, except for along the top.

Once all the snaps are undone, lift straight up and it will come off the top part of the door along the window.

now the procedure is clear as mud, you should have no trouble :drunk: