Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Pilot Bearing HELP!

:banghead: How do I get the pilot bearing into the flywheel. I should have had it pressed in at the machine shop I guess, but the old one practically fell out. I just ruined one trying to hammer it in. Now I have just the old one, which I am reluctant to use. Any tricks on how to get it in there? torch? vise?

I have to get this thing on the road by Monday.

never replaced one myself so i can't help you with that.

very bad idea to use the old one. i just read a post..can't recall which board this was on, of a guy who had his clutch replaced and the pilot bearing failed not too long after that. i think it might have been in the New Generation forum but could have been another board all together. he was quite irritated that the shop didn't replace this 12 dollar part in order to avoid another couple hundred dollars of labor charges.

Thank you. I found the problem. When the machine shop resurfaced my flywheel there was a slight bur around the edge of the center hole. This caught up my pilot bearing and started me down the wrong path. I cleaned that up with an abrasive wheel on a drill press and the new pilot bearing went in with just a few taps.

Now I'm having problems with the release bearing. See new possible new post if my search for answers doesn't show up anything.

Moral of story: A pretty flywheel can still have a bur in its hole.

:brow:

post-9251-136027602557_thumb.jpg