Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Towing 84 GL Wgn

Recently aquired 84 GL WGN,4SPD,4WD,Manual steering. 271K mi on speedo. Don't know if its real but probably so. Contemplating towing it behind my RV with tow bar. Read threads about removing driveshaft. Manual sez it can be towed. Is there a sleeve bearing or rollar bearing at the tailshaft of the tranny? If its a sealed rollar bearing then lubrication shouldn't be an issue. Guess I need to find out about that one.

My problem is that when I pulled it around my driveway in gravel in hard turns, the wheels would track to the opposite side sometimes. Otherwise straight and mild turns..tracks OK.

Any suggestions??

bar towing works real well with subes.that way all wheels are turning the same speed, it won`t tear up anything.

if you are having a hard time turning in your driveway, it must be locked in 4wd.the back wheels always churp in 4wd.while towing, you want it in fwd and in nuetral.also make sure the steering is unlocked.it will be a smooth tow.

My problem is that when I pulled it around my driveway in gravel in hard turns, the wheels would track to the opposite side sometimes. Otherwise straight and mild turns..tracks OK.

Any suggestions??

This is common when towing soobies... towed an 84 Brat from San Diego to Tucson on a tow bar.. We couldn't make a 90 degree turn without that happening. What you want to do is make SURE you're in 2wd, nuetral, and the steering wheel is free. NOT LOCKED. Your tires are tracking to the opposite side because your hitch is too high or your tires are under-inflated. If you can get a bigger "drop" hitch (we had a 6" drop and that still wasn't enough.. lifted turbo diesel...) That would be your best bet. and make Sure your front tires are as close to 33psi as you can. The tow bar should be as level as possible.. or possibly even lower at your hitch than on the soobie! Good luck.

yep. no need to take out the driveshaft with the manual tranny.

I've flat towed lots, and learned to always take the widest path around a curve.

you may want to make sure your adjustable front suspension is turned down all the way. any positive camber will definitely make your wheels track like that....

I have also tried using some bungee cords to limit the steering wheel movement, with some success, but it hard to find places to hook to :)

you may want to make sure your adjustable front suspension is turned down all the way. any positive camber will definitely make your wheels track like that....

Good heads up..thanks! The much touted adjustable front suspension height doesn't seem to take into account of changing camber with height. Do you know of any camber bolt kits? Any idea how toe-in affects tracking?

bar towing works real well with subes.that way all wheels are turning the same speed, it won`t tear up anything.

if you are having a hard time turning in your driveway, it must be locked in 4wd.the back wheels always churp in 4wd.while towing, you want it in fwd and in nuetral.also make sure the steering is unlocked.it will be a smooth tow.

Yup..in FWD & neutral. McBrat seems to have some answers. Thanks for your reply