Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lower gears, using stock drive & 31" tires ?

Scott in Bellingham

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um, I thought he was going to put the flywheel down by the tranny. That way he still has a clutch.

That still don't work which is why he's moved to the AT idea. I'm skeptical at best to an old Subaru AT holding upto offroad abuse. They don't even hold up on the roads :(

havent obtained a Auto

did pick up a dual range, cracked it open

the low range looks like 19 to 23 ratio then 19 to 24 ratio = 1 to 1.6

still reaserching , this may take a while

looking into the auto trans, maybe take a set of those planatary gears , and adapt it some how, anyone been inside one got any pictures , hopefully get one this week to rip into

No belts..

the low range looks like 19 to 23 ratio then 19 to 24 ratio = 1 to 1.6

So the difference between high and low range is 1 tooth? Anyway to modify just that single gear? Im sure someone thats good at math could tell you the next possible matchup (19/xx) and how you would have to have it cut. They (Fuji) had to have come up with their numbers (19/23 and 19/24) somehow.

I'm going to come into some money soon and I'm thinking of either having Mudrat or somenone else maybe try to source a 4.44 set of gears, it'll probly mean a good sum of money up front cause the newer trannies are $$$ and sure it;ll eat up alot of hours but for me right now a lower overall geared dual range is worth about 2 tho. If we could start with a rx trannies low range gear ratio 1.126? up top and then have the 1.65 bottom that'd be bang on for 30" tires.

The pinion is machined as part of the driven shaft, the whole shaft has to be replaced. However it is just the shaft and all the gears etc press onto the new shaft. The FSM shows the full time 4wd driven shaft to be the same between dual and single range.

However, for some exciting news......

This pic comes from the L series and the Lib FSM and is for the part time 4wd gearboxes in each case.

driven.jpg

The top is the L series, bottom is Lib. To me the shafts pictured are identical, need this to be confirmed in actuality though.

Why is this exciting?????

Well, the Lib part time box was a 4.11 diff. So, if you can get hold of a Lib part time R&P then theres a good chance it will go into an L box.

If you could pair up 4.44 [which was also available for the lib's too] R+P into either a liberty trannie or a Leone then you'd be set. Lower gears overall.

So... swap the R+P and the rear diff ratio too.

OK I'm going to order, from either an importer or somebody who's bought an imported jdm forester/wrx with the 4.44's, 4.44 trannie and rear diff, it seems some came with a center diff.I don't really want a center diff so I'll have to keep an eye on that #'s wise. If it can't be done then back up for sale they go.

all you realy need is an er27, or a ej.

?? What do you mean? I'd like to stay with the 82t untill I get a 4wd sedan to put the go fast stuff into. EJ maybe so I could mod the trannie for the 4.44's easier. another 50lb's of torque isn't going to help much, Yeah I could continue to flog the snot out of my car flailing through stuff with the ratio's I've got but fixing/replacing parts gets old. Most times 4 lo just isn't slo enough. If I can't sort out some gearing then I might be looking at an ej swap, but at that point I might as well lift a forester and just deal with the wagon's 22% over gearing

oh, your offroadin a turbo, thats why you want to do this... you cant crawl at wide open throttle when your makin boost

a turbo motor has as much horsepower than an ea71 untill it starts boostin.

its not about peak power at all. its about a fat motor with low end torque

oh, your offroadin a turbo, thats why you want to do this... you cant crawl at wide open throttle when your makin boost

a turbo motor has as much horsepower than an ea71 untill it starts boostin.

its not about peak power at all. its about a fat motor with low end torque

A 9.5:1 set of pistons with turbo heads puts out close to the same torque as an spfi block/heads. I want lower gears so I can go easy on the clutch in technical sections and have closer ratio's in town. Torque's great and all but it's worthless if your gear ratio's 22% over[29's] with only a 1.6 reduction.