Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Hornet's been safetied (partway)

Well, I got back home last night with the Hornet, and I took it in today for the safety inspection. It will need a ball joint, front rotors, a front caliper, and maybe a steering rack, but those are all parts I can steal off one of my old cars.

Hopefully by Monday, I'll have the car ready for the re-inspection. Then it'll be ready for plates.

BIG THANKS TO: sparkster, qman, turbone, (and edrach) for their hospitality and cheap parts.

Stephen, glad you made it back home without incident. Best of luck with the Hornet; it looks like you've got it under control.

Well, I got back home last night with the Hornet, and I took it in today for the safety inspection. It will need a ball joint, front rotors, a front caliper, and maybe a steering rack, but those are all parts I can steal off one of my old cars.

Hopefully by Monday, I'll have the car ready for the re-inspection. Then it'll be ready for plates.

BIG THANKS TO: sparkster, qman, turbone, (and edrach) for their hospitality and cheap parts.

hey man!

your doing some VI??? sweet!(well... it actually sucks but...)

i went through VI with my brat... needed inner tie rods... good luck on yours... and i hope yours isn't as big a biatch as mine was...

good luck!

I have all the parts together and I'll do the required work today. Then I can get on with the other stuff as I have the time.

I probably went through 2 quarts of oil on the drive here. It was about 1/3-1/2 quart with every fill. I averaged about 24mpg, which is pretty good, considering my speed for the last 500 or 600 miles was around 70mph.

The temps stayed pretty cool. The only time it started getting real hot was on the Coquihala (sp) pass in B.C. I had it floored in 2nd, going up the hill at about 35mph. Both electric fans were on, and I almost turned the heater on, but then I saw the top of the pass. I have a couple of spare radiators that I can pick from, once this one is properly licensed and ready to go.

There are still a couple of other things I'll have to do to winterize the car (block heater, heat riser to the carb, battery blanket, fixing the defrost setting) but I still have at least a couple of months before those start getting real important.

That's my Hornet......she still puts up a good fight.........

The Rebuilt Carb needs a good adjustment Steve.....you just broke it in on your trip.....before that it only had ummm mybe 200miles on it.....

with all the probs with the leaking seals. and such....iam surprised the gaskets didn't totaly blow out........

steve,, you have one of my best subaru's ..in the last 3 yrs i put over 12K on roadtrips alone.....arizona,new mexico,,ect.....last yr was as far as sturgis,sd.......i know you'll take care of the Hornet

she'll give you 100% all the time.......

Spark