Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Using LPG instead gasoline

As long as you are using proper equipment, LPG is fine. Also gives you the option of running much higher compression ratios, so you can increase the efficiency of your engine.

If I had the money for an LPG tank and throttle plate, my car would definitely be running on it.

I have been converted about a month, it uses 15% more gas than fuel but it is under 1/2 the price of fuel.

I have a 100 litre tank in the Wonder Brumby and it gets me 750 kms for $56 Australian bucks.

It is available at about 1 in 4 fuel stations here.

I highly reccomend it.

Low emissions,

simple engine managment,

gas prices are not directly affected by crude oil prices either.

And its got a healthy octane rating too....

Good luck.

Matt

Bella, i have an EJ22 injected motor, but this is all bypassed.

The gas is mixed in the throttle body, the injectors are not connected.

Yes it makes awesome torque down low in the revs, but it came from a

Legacy wagon and is now pushing 2/3 of the weight.

Yes it needed a different coil.

Yes its worth it for the power and simplicity.

With our fuel and gas prices.

($1.35 litre 96 RON and $.56 litre LPG)

$1 Aust = $.72 US.

I can't see the price of oil coming down soon, and we don't import LPG into Australia, we produce our own.

LPG conversion businesses are very busy .

Good luck.

Bella, i have an EJ22 injected motor, but this is all bypassed.

The gas is mixed in the throttle body, the injectors are not connected.

Yes it makes awesome torque down low in the revs, but it came from a

Legacy wagon and is now pushing 2/3 of the weight.

Yes it needed a different coil.

Yes its worth it for the power and simplicity.

With our fuel and gas prices.

($1.35 litre 96 RON and $.56 litre LPG)

$1 Aust = $.72 US.

I can't see the price of oil coming down soon, and we don't import LPG into Australia, we produce our own.

LPG conversion businesses are very busy .

Good luck.

is lpg available in The States? does anyone know?

Lpg what kinda fuel is it?

What are the pros and cons of this conversion? Is the fuel cheaper (I can't remember the last time I bought propane) here in the states? Is the emmision any easier on the environment? I am always interested in alternative fuels. So far, Willie Fuel is my favorite http://www.wnbiodiesel.com/

But I haven't heard of any viable methods of converting subes to diesel.

heres one site with some info on it.

http://www.autogas-india.com/conv.html

but im having a hard time finding LPG autogas providers here in NC USA.

turns out LPG autogass is not the same as LP

In the USA, LPG ("propane") is the same for car or grill. You just need to find someone that sells in bulk quanitites: Suppliers of home propane tanks, refillers of grill tanks. These retailers are not all that common in metropolitan areas, but very common in semi-rural or rural areas. Prices very greatly (50% variance with 2 of my retailers that are 2 miles apart!).

LPG has a high "octane" rating of approximately 110 (depending on blend), burns slower and ignites at a higher temperature which make it require a greater spark timing advance and higher energy ignition event ("hotter" spark). The LPG is liquified (duh!), and has to evaporate into a gas before it can ignite, which requires a large amount of heat to accomplish. It can be difficult to start a cold engine on propane. Propane's ignitable Air/Fuel ratio range is rather large compared with gasoline, so careful metering is not needed just to get it to run.

What are the pros and cons of this conversion? Is the fuel cheaper (I can't remember the last time I bought propane) here in the states? Is the emmision any easier on the environment? I am always interested in alternative fuels. So far, Willie Fuel is my favorite http://www.wnbiodiesel.com/

But I haven't heard of any viable methods of converting subes to diesel.

if i remember right emmission wise it all but eliminates hydrocarbon emmisions, doesn't make your oil black with carbon deposits so you can extend your service intervals, and about 85% if lpg sold in the states is domestic, with about 12% of the left over 15% coming form canada and mexico...so you won't be lubricating the war machine.

i've done some research for converting my 1969 big block 396ci GMC truck. it seems that you get more benefit with old, less effiecent motors as far as emmisions is concerned. when i actually have money to spend on my truck i will most likely do it, but unless gas goes way up and LPG says put i doubt i would do it on a soob. but that's just me =)

propane is the most readily available alternative fuel on the US market. as northwet stated prices do vary wildley, but even so, you could easily drive across the US on propane. there is .gov site with a propane station locator, but i'm too lazy to go look for it.

if i remember right emmission wise it all but eliminates hydrocarbon emmisions, doesn't make your oil black with carbon deposits so you can extend your service intervals, and about 85% if lpg sold in the states is domestic, with about 12% of the left over 15% coming form canada and mexico...so you won't be lubricating the war machine.

i've done some research for converting my 1969 big block 396ci GMC truck. it seems that you get more benefit with old, less effiecent motors as far as emmisions is concerned. when i actually have money to spend on my truck i will most likely do it, but unless gas goes way up and LPG says put i doubt i would do it on a soob. but that's just me =)

propane is the most readily available alternative fuel on the US market. as northwet stated prices do vary wildley, but even so, you could easily drive across the US on propane. there is .gov site with a propane station locator, but i'm too lazy to go look for it.

That is very interesting. The fact that my money won't be going to overseas oil is very appealing. This might be just the thing for my 93 grand cherokee.

When I was going to James Madison University, there were quite a few University vehicles that were running on LPG.

Is LPG any less stable than gasoline? Is the risk of explosion in a wreck any greater?

... Is LPG any less stable than gasoline? Is the risk of explosion in a wreck any greater?

LPG is under pressure, approximately 100-150PSI at our "normal" temperatures. It requires a rather heavy pressure vessel (think oxy/acetelyne tank, but scaled to fit 20-50 gals) by US-DOT regulations. If the tank ruptures in a crash (unlikely), risk of immediate ignition is minimal (has to vaporize, sucking huge amounts of heat from anything it touches), but the tank will continue to leak under pressure until it is empty, so it is a continued fire/explosion/BLEVE risk. It is heavier than air, so will spread along the ground to find any available ignition source.

All that being said, the total real-world risk is exteremely low.

Is the risk of explosion in a wreck any greater?

in addition to northwet's comments, i'll add that what i've read indicates that the high standards LPG tanks face compared to normal gas tanks actually makes them a bit safer. one site claimed a properly mounted tank can even act as a structual support under impact. i'm no expert, but i've yet to see anything that proves they are less safe than a regular tank.

The tanks are physically quite strong. The flip side is that nothing is stronger than its weakest link. There are fill and outlet fittings on the tank, and if these have the misfortune to take a hit then the tank will leak.

BUT... any hit will likely cause a gasoline tank to leak.

They are pretty safe (I would not hesitate to use one), but did I mention that they are heavy??? Oh, and bulky, too. Cylindrical, thick wall steel. You need to provide dead space in the tank for expansion, so they can only be filled to approximately 80% of gross capacity.

LPG also contains less energy per unit measure than gasoline, so it gets lower distance/unit-volume ("mileage") in a vehicle optimized for gasoline, but should be able to break even on a vehicle optimized for LPG.

It should run cleaner (emissions and oil contamination) than gasoline. The engine will likely run cooler: The energy to gasify the LPG has to come from somewheres, and typically comes from the cooling system.