Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2006 Forester Manual Transmission jerks at low speeds

I purchased a 2006 Forester Premium with a manual transmission. I have noticed that when I am crawling in traffic in first gear, the car jerks. It is similar to the jerking that would occur when someone is just learning to drive a stick shift, with the exception that this happens when my foot is off the clutch and I am giving the car enough gas to keep it moving. I've been driving a stick shift for thirty seven years and have never had this problem before. I had previously owned an Impreza with a manual transmission and never had this type of jerking.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

Susan Murray

Really, it's common to any late model Subaru

you've got to learn how to drive this aggressive MT ;)

the car is LOADED with torque

and not meant to go slow

you have to learn to feather the clutch

learn to feather the gas

easy on. easy off.

it will take you some time to get used to

but eventually you'll get it sorted out

or you'll get a chiropractor for your neck injuries ;)

Jamie

I'm no mechanic, but it may be that the clutch is super new, and therefore more "sticky" than one that has some miles on it. My old Outback did the same thing when I got the new clutch put in.If it doesn't clear up, I'd take it to the dealer where of course it will automatically spontaneously resolve itself, get 100 miles to the gallon, self-apply a coat of wax,and be the best Subaru ever produced by mortal man. Whenever my cars act up, I drive to the dealership and they run perfectly out of fear of being traded at pennies on the dollar.:rolleyes:

Do a search for 'hesitation'. There have been lots of posts on this board.

What I have found (on my 2002 Forester 5MT) is the following:

- Start the engine, and drive off immediately = Hesitation at slow speeds.

- Start the engine; idle for 10 seconds, then drive off = No hesitation.

The other thing that you can try, is to reset the ECU (by disconnecting the battery for 20 mins).

soft rubber mounts and ready torque. I can crawl my BMW and it is smooth as glass, and I am 55 and have driven sticks since I was a kid.

It is only a bit of an irritation in stop and go traffic, and if you can keep your mind on it you can avoid the area where it jerks. The later cars seem more prone to this because of the extra torque.

This is one of the things I decided to live with to get the advantages my Forester has for my everyday use.

I purchased a 2006 Forester Premium with a manual transmission. I have noticed that when I am crawling in traffic in first gear, the car jerks. It is similar to the jerking that would occur when someone is just learning to drive a stick shift, with the exception that this happens when my foot is off the clutch and I am giving the car enough gas to keep it moving. I've been driving a stick shift for thirty seven years and have never had this problem before. I had previously owned an Impreza with a manual transmission and never had this type of jerking.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

Susan Murray

Has your Subaru dealer inspected the vehicle for this concern yet? Have you asked your dealer if there are any service bulletins about low-speed engine surging? If the dealer has inspected the vehicle and gives you a "no trouble found" or "normal operating condition" kind of answer, you ought to call Subaru of America headquarters in NJ and ask that an area rep contact you. I'm wondering if there isn't some sort of ECU "re-flash" (computer re-programming) that Subaru is aware of to correct that condition?

Has your Subaru dealer inspected the vehicle for this concern yet? Have you asked your dealer if there are any service bulletins about low-speed engine surging? If the dealer has inspected the vehicle and gives you a "no trouble found" or "normal operating condition" kind of answer, you ought to call Subaru of America headquarters in NJ and ask that an area rep contact you. I'm wondering if there isn't some sort of ECU "re-flash" (computer re-programming) that Subaru is aware of to correct that condition?

good sugestion, and, you COULD go 'test drive' another one.

Carl

• 1 month later...

I can't tell you anything other than: It's a Subaru thing.

My 91 Legacy does it a lot if I'm not paying attention. MY XT isn't as bad, I think maybe because the final ratio is taller than the Legacy.

Like Subie Gal said, just learn how to make it smooth. It can be done.

I have driven stick for more years than I care to mention... and I find my Baja is very touchy too. It seems to want to bolt at half-clutch, regardless of the gas being fed to it. The car is quiet and I wasn't "hearing" what it needed.

This worked wonders for me: Turn off the stereo, heater, A/C in the car and listen to the car as you drive... after a few days, your body will pick up the car's rhythm and respond to it automatically.

Good luck!