Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rotate l/front driveshaft - 94 Loyale

Hi

I've just changed a front driveshaft on my Loyale to get rid of the clicking CV. Wouldn't you know it, the dealer replaced the wrong side... Said that the boot on the r/f side was torn so he assumed the CV was on that shaft. He didn't bother road testing and won't refund as "with the boot broken it was going to have to be done eventually anyway"... So I'm feeling broke and the click's still there. The clicking started about 2 months ago and is only noticeable in very sharp corners, so the CV shouldn't be totally wrecked yet. I can't tell whether its the inner or outer CV. Can I turn the l/f driveshaft 180 degs so the CVs are running the other way round? Would this help? I don't know whether the driveshafts are the same length. If they are would it make more sense to switch l side driveshaft to r side?

Sandy

well, the shafts cannot be reversed, the inner joint is technically a DOJ, or double offset joint, this allows for some 'telescoping' in the joing, but not enough flex for turning...since it clicks only when you turn, it has to be the outer (true CV).

a torn boot can be replaced, no need to replace the whole axle, especially if it was a good subaru axle (much higher quality than reman'd)

a cv with torn boot will last much longer than a clicking one!! go back and tell him that very thing, you want a SUBARU axle with a new boot (about $15 each, have to do both for an outer). you paid for one axle, tell him to replace the one that's actually failing, and if he put a reman'd axle in the other side, to put a subaru axle in it (whether yours with new boots, or a new one if he must), and no more than ~$30 for it! (if all that doesn't work....make sure you make it very clear you're not coming back)

is it 4WD, if so, don't worry about the axle failing, if it does, put it in 4WD and it'll send the power to the rear. great fix (but don't drive like this for too terribly long, especially if it's push button 4WD)