Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Starter problems. '84 wagon

Ok, I've been having issues with my starter the last couple days. It works sometimes, other times it does not. It's an '84 wagon, EA81. When I turn the key the solenoid clicks. So I replace the starter because every time it's done that on my other vehicles it solved the problem. Well, the first new starter I put it does the same thing. I take it back and make them give me a new one and it still does it. I check all my cables and clean them. I replace that dinky little ground wire with a 4 gauge wire. That fixed it for a couple hours. I had my cooling fan wired to my coil, so I rewired it figuring somehow it might be drawing too much power from the starter. Still didn't fix it. There is a little box in the passenger side of the car in the back corner that seems to click at the same time of the starter, but I have no idea what this is or if may be causing a problem. I'm attaching a picture of it, maybe someone here can tell me what it is and if it's normal or not. Does anyone else have any ideas for me?

post-11973-136027603071_thumb.jpg

well, I'm not an EA81 expert, but I've heard of some subies having a short somewhere in the system and not getting power to the starter, but this sounds like you have a mechanical click, not an electrical click, right?

as for the black thing...it looks like a vacuum device of some sort, alot like the cruise mechanism on my loyale...then again, maybe it's just a result of the power cut while the starter is engaged...I'm pretty much just guessing here.

The problem you are having seems like it may be with the main battery ground lead. It may have internal corrosion and have high resistance. If you haven't cleaned the battery terminals and cable connections then do that first to see it that will help.

I would check the cables using a voltmeter to look for voltage drop across the wire while trying to start the car. You can also use a jumper cable to bypass the the main battery leads to find the problem. The problem may also be with the battery so measuring the voltage across it while cranking may turn up a internal problem.

One place you might look is the first connector off the ignition switch. If you remove the plastic cowling above and below the ignition switch you'll see the ignition switch and the cable as it runs along the steering column. About 6 inches along there will be a plastic connector, either pink in color or white. Current for the starting the car runs through that connector and with age, the connections can go bad and the bad connection can make starting intermittant. Examine the plastic connector carefully, if the connection is bad it will get hot and the plastic will turn brown or black from the heat (I've even seen one actually melt). The fix is easy, find a newer ignition switch and cable at a wrecking yard or hardwire a splice around the bad connection using the correct guage wire or larger (I think it's AWG12 but it might be AWG10). You've already replaced the starter and solenoid so I think you'll find the problem there. There's also a possibilty the the switch itself is intermittant; replacing the entire cable and switch with one from a wreck should solve that problem also. I have seen this on three of the older EA81s that have passed through our family and it's a pretty common problem from what I can tell. Good luck.

I've got all new ground cables from the battery to the engine block, from the battery to the body and I added a new one from the starter to the body. Still nothing. It worked tosay when I jumped it so I thought maybe it was the battery so I took it in to a different auto parts store to have it tested and the battery and the charging system checked out fine. I'll look into the ignition thing tonight. I hope I have enough daylight. I really need to get this thing working right. I sold my other car the day before all of this happened. I haven't had just one car for atleast 4 years. Anything else I can try it the ignition checks out?

I suggest you purchase a test light probe so you can see where voltage is getting to and not getting to.

Since you have a new ground cable then the problem may be with the main positive cable between the battery and the starter. Try bypassing the cable with a jumper cable and see if that works.

Another trick you can do to prove the starter circuit is to put a jumper lead on the small wire to the starter solenoid. Then touch the other end of the jumper to the positive battery post. If things are good, the starter will work and you then need to check the ignition switch circuit to the solenoid for a problem. If not, then the main lead is probably bad.

Well edrach you are my hero for the week! One wire on that connector was toast! I clipped it out and bypassed the connector. Works like a charm! Thanks everyone for all your help. Subaru owners are the most helpful people, I swear. I'm attaching an image of my connector if anyone cares to see it.

post-11973-136027603078_thumb.jpg

I'd like to take credit for being a genius, but I've seen that blackened connector on at least 5 different cars in the last 6 years (since I've owned Subarus). It's just a matter of their engineers trying to pass too much current through a connector and ultimately they fail in exactly that way on the exact same connection. Krankitup, I'm glad your car is back on the road.

Thanks for the feedback an picture, and your welcome for the help. Another Soob is back on the road.

Great call on the trouble Edrach.