Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Recently my 2.5 engine on my 98 Legacy Outback has started a squeak. Seems to come from the drivers side of the engine and only at an idle. Hit the gas, no more squeak. Drive down a hill, back it comes.

More annoying then anything. The belt looks good, was replaced last summer. Engine is running fine.

Could this be a sign something is giving up the ghost? Pulley too loose? Any ideas?

Paul

Homer, Alaska

I guess I would say it was chirping cricket but now has turned into a constant squeal. Seems to be on the drivers side of the belt system. I cannot see a tension pulley on that side, just the compressor or alternator.

I will have to look more. Thanks for the info. Wish some more engine diagrams and such were online for those of us without a Chilton's manual!

Paul

I have the same noise and only at idle, but I know what it is, I was just looking to see if anyone had any hints or tips of what to do to fix it. The squeak is coming from my Air Suction Valve. It's part of the Emissions and it uses the vacuum created by the exhaust to allow fresh air to be sucked through the air cleaner and into the exhaust to help burn HC and CO. I'm not sure if you have this on your yr./model but I thought it might be worth mentioning...and like yours it's running fine and the noise is more of an annoyance than anything else. I guess I'll delve into it when I get time.

- Bill (mesa,az)

Recently my 2.5 engine on my 98 Legacy Outback has started a squeak. Seems to come from the drivers side of the engine and only at an idle. Hit the gas, no more squeak. Drive down a hill, back it comes.

More annoying then anything. The belt looks good, was replaced last summer. Engine is running fine.

Could this be a sign something is giving up the ghost? Pulley too loose? Any ideas?

Paul

Homer, Alaska

Yeah, the screach has turn pretty loud this morning. I am gonna call our one good Subaru place around here today. Problem is he takes all of September off. I just hope if it is a tension pulley, that it does not seize and then I am toast.

Not sure, maybe somebody knows, if it is say, an accessory hose that runs say, just the A/C comressor, can the belt be removed till I can get the pulley replaced?

Nor sure about the Air Suction Valve, but mine has def. changed to a squeal!

Thanks for any advice. Paul

I just replaced my AC Compressor and both belts on my 93 legacy. after a few days I started to get a squeek then turned into a constant squeel. Check out tension on the belts. I had to drop a belt size after running out of adjustment)to get my ac belt to stop squeeling.

• 3 weeks later...

After talking to my mechanic he was saying it could be the timing belt too. I guess I am bout due to change it with 95,000 miles on it! But he will be back in October and I have a list of problems for him! Minor oil leak, front bushings are worm and squeaky then this belt squeel! Will it never end!

Thanks all! Paul