Ultimate Subaru Message Board

O2 sensor replacement ---source?

anyone recommend a mail order source for a low cost sensor ?How much do these things run anyway?I have an Autozone nearby...I'll check it as they seems cheaper than say NAPA...also for the special socket

I am soaking with a penetrate everyday hoping it comes out easy---might I need to buy a tap to clean out the threads?what is the thread size?

91 loyale non turbo wagon

anyone recommend a mail order source for a low cost sensor ?How much do these things run anyway?I have an Autozone nearby...I'll check it as they seems cheaper than say NAPA...also for the special socket

I got a Bosch universal O2 sensor from Advance Auto Parts for about $16.

I went to Autozone for the universal (Bosch) sensor (~$20). Use the loan-a-tool service for the socket if you need it. I managed with a box-end wrench (after modding the cat a bit to get to it). You will have to re-crimp the connector on the new one, but any standard wire cutter/stripper/crimper tool will work just fine.

good luck!

I just did this to my 91 Loyale yesterday. Used the Bosch Universal, 22.99 at the local Autozone and rent/borrowed the install tool from them. Managed to strip the threads and had to run out to Ace hardware for a Helicoil sparkplug thread chaser to fix that.

Also, I had to disconnect the Y pipe from the motor and drop it down in order to get the new sensor in - it was longer than the original. That took about 2 minutes and would have been worth doing before taking the old one out.