Ultimate Subaru Message Board

LSD rebuilding info

Storm

I finally got the LSD sucessfully installed into our 98RS rear end. Initial results of the first autocross event are showing that the LSD is still allowing some slip, just not as much as the open diff. Does anyone have electronic files of the parts breakdown of the clutch-type LSD so I can look into freshening it up over the winter? I can't find anything showing a breakdown of the diff itself.....only the whole R160 assembly.

I'm hoping some of the crawlers and trail dwellers might have some tricks to increase the preload somewhat to give something inbetween open and lincoln locker performance.....closer to the lincoln side! ;)

Thanks in advance!

Jay Storm

Yes, I put fresh Pennzoil gear lube in. The bottle says it is suitable for makeup and top off of LSD diffs. I swapped the diff from an 89XT(3.70) to a 98RS(4.11) case. I didn't check to see if I could overpower the diff by hand with the rear off the ground, I only checked for smooth operation and wearpatterns. Is there a preferred fluid to use for it?

If these parts are available I should, in theory, be able to talk to my parts guy and determine what would be needed to rebuild the unit. Correct? We get a decent discount on parts......I just want to make sure I can actually get the parts I need.

Thanks again for the info......It's nice to discuss repairing usable parts instead of buying new for everything.

Im pretty sure the plates could be sourced from the dealer. Last person that tried that I know of couldnt find a dealer parts counter that knew how to look up the shims, etc. If yours cant, PM me a link to this thread again and I can look in my parts book collection for it. Not sure where the books are right now or id just do it.

• 11 months later...

Bumping this back from the dead. Since installing the LSD into the Impreza, we've been very happy with the results. We'd still spin a little bit when one rear is off the ground but the forward thrust was still enough to keep us going alot better than with the stock open diff. Our corner speeds have gone way up with this diff but this last race took the last of the life out of it and I have it out to rebuild. Now for my issues...

I was able to order the shims, springs and friction plates thru my dealer but have since lost the darn exploded view of the diff...:rolleyes: I tried searching for that same illustration but haven't been able to find it yet. If anyone has one they could kindly post or email me...that would be super!

Thanks in advance!

Jay Storm

:rolleyes: Hmmm good question! I got the parts so long ago....CRS filed them deep away. I don't remember them being extremely expensive, they just took forever and a day to come in.

I went ahead and disassembled the chunk, carefully laying out each piece in order and simply went in reverse order with new parts. The springs are 2 beveled washers which were installed both in the same orientation. This seemed a little odd since I use these things on some of my machines at work and always alternate the bevels (bellville type spring washers) so I put them back in big end to big end.

I wanted to enhance the holding power of the LSD, but try as I might....I could not fit an extra plate or spring in the pack. Just not enough clearance. I thought briefly about taking a little meat off the portion that meets in the center around the pinion gears, but I don't have a mill at work (good maint. shop, eh?) and didn't wanna risk fubar'ing the whole thing. I might explore that option over the winter and see what happens.....it should ~in theory~ engage the clutches sooner and hold tighter.

Jay Storm

...The springs are 2 beveled washers which were installed both in the same orientation. This seemed a little odd since I use these things on some of my machines at work and always alternate the bevels (bellville type spring washers) so I put them back in big end to big end...

Just a note on Belleville spring washers... Parallel stacking (nesting big end to small end) increases the spring rate, i.e. 2 washers have twice the rate. Inverted stacking (big end to big end, small to small) allows twice the deflection for the same load, so half the spring rate.

So in the case of the LSD diff, stacking the springs back to back my have increased the preload (you would have to compress them more to fit into the same space that they would fit nested), but has reduced the rate that ramps apply load to the clutch pack. And in a clutch type LSD the preload really dosen't do much work, its the torque applied that engages the ramps and the ramps are what puts the real squeeze on the clutches. Now as long as the springs get fully compressed (or near) before you run out of ramp travel it makes little difference which way you stack them, in the end its the ramp angle that determines the force in the clutch pack for a given torque load.

Wow, thats just to much typing

Gary

what, are you an engineer or something? :lol:

Shhhhh, dont tell anybody, I'll start to get a reputation as a know-it-all geek... damn, too late.:D

P.S. I ment to catch up with you at WCSS8 (you were there right?), but I was only there for the day on Sat. Hell I may have even talked to you, just didn't know it was you, LOL.

Crap.....I don't really wanna take it back out again just to switch those springs. I think we'll have to see what happens to the engagement and operation. If it's worse, I'll still have time to do it before it really counts. This is what I get for questioning the minds at Fuji Heavy Industries!

Thanks for the heads up on the belleville springs....I won't make this mistake again.:rolleyes: