Ultimate Subaru Message Board

*...Just picked up a 79 Brat...Question?*

I just got a 79 Brat cause I got a great deal on it. It needs a new hub, cv joints, struts and brakes but the body and motor/tranny work great. My question is what years have the same front asemblies? I have removed the whole axle, lower ball joint, strut, hub/disc and am hoping to find a parts car that I can do the same thing and just mount back up. The guy stripped the drivers side hub and then tried to weld it so I'd rather swap the whole thing. Thanks in advance.

Ken

all the gen 1 brats should be the same, the front crossmember on teh 81 gen 1 brat with the ea81 top mounted start will be differnt.

also gen 1 wagons 4x4 will be the same. not shure if 75-76 are the same but should be i think 78 and 79 will be though. if you going to do rear brakes you might want to look into doing rear disks check the hist fourm there is a post about that in there. ;

It needs a new hub(any '77-79 and maybe more,plus up to '81 for Brat),

cv joints(see below),

struts and brakes(probably best to get new,check around there's rotors and struts on eBay all the time)

but the body and motor/tranny work great.

(Cool!!! the rest is cake)

My question is what years have the same front asemblies?

For sure,you can use the front assy' from anything Subaru (USA) '77 through '79.

BUT,my factory parts manual shows that the '79 Brat has an axle all it's own that does not interchange with the others.Strange to me.There's an asterisk in the remarks column which indicates it was a new issue part when the book was printed in January 1980.Does your axle have a cotter pin in it or do you have to knock a chisle into the nut to unlock the detent?I'm guessing they started the cotter pin style around that time,so the pre-79's will have the knock down/lock down vs. the cotter pin on the castle nut.

BUT,my factory parts manual shows that the '79 Brat has an axle all it's own that does not interchange with the others.Strange to me.There's an asterisk in the remarks column which indicates it was a new issue part when the book was printed in January 1980.Does your axle have a cotter pin in it or do you have to knock a chisle into the nut to unlock the detent?I'm guessing they started the cotter pin style around that time,so the pre-79's will have the knock down/lock down vs. the cotter pin on the castle nut.

i'm running the cotter pin style on my passenger side and the punch kind on the drivers side... both styles work...:)

All axles and all hubs interchange between ALL 77-81 BRATs and ALL 77-79 subaru cars. (2 or 4 wheel drive) I think the 74-76 will work too.

The BRAT "originally" had thicker CV shafts. No big deal though, as most axles are all mixed up now anyway.

todd