Ultimate Subaru Message Board

81 4wd wagon

81newb

Hello all from a novice. I have an 81 wagon that I want to get back running. (the suburban is killing me). Needs clutch and body parts. So my stupid questions are 1) where do you find out what years can swap what body parts? 2) is it too much for a novice to tackle a clutch( never done anything like that but I am a detail guy) 3.) when replacing the clutch what other things within budget should one consider doing. Thanks for you input hope to be a contributer some day and not just a sponge.

Your body style was sold from 80-84 as a wagon, through 87 as a brat, and through 89 as a hatch. The front fenders and hood should swap between all of those models, and I don't know what is interchangable beyond that.

Pulling the engine and doing a clutch on your car would be a great learning experience and it's really not that hard since it doesn't have a lot of complex stuff to disconnect. Just label every hose and wire you remove and it should be a piece of cake.

As far as other stuff to do, definitely replace the rear main seal and the oil pan gasket. If anything else leaks, this is a great time to replace that as well. Replace all the coolant hoses, since you have to remove them to pull the engine anyway. If your radiator is in bad shape, get a new one as you'll be removing it in the process as well.

This would also be a good time to clean the engine bay if you are into that sort of thing. Not having the engine in the way makes this a lot easier.

Well it looks like Snowman beat me to it, but to answer your questions:

1) If the damage is on the front of the car, the body panels from any 80-84 car will work. (There are some cars that have the same body panels until 89, but use the above years for reference). Headlights, grills and bumpers changed over the years, so if you need those, get them from a matching year.

2) Depending on what tools you have avalible to you and if you have anyone to help you, a clutch would not be out of the question for a novice (These cars are VERY easy to work on). While doing the clutch, I would suggest replacing the throw out bearing, gear oil, maybe the rear main seal of the engine, and the clutch cable depending on its condition. Also use this time to clean up the engine compartment and to check for things that need to be greased or tightened.

The only other thing I would do would be to get a factory service manual for your car. I think I have a spare one for your year, so shoot me a PM.

Oooh!. Does it have the third eye??? I love those. Had an 80 wagon named Cy, short for Cyclips. Took me everywhere! Only ran on three cylinders most of the time. Man, I Loved that car!!!!

I miss my '82 wagon with the third eye. Was my first car and I bought it for $50, with 210k miles. I put another 15k on before getting rid of it. When I got rid of it, it needed new axles, 3rd gear synchros, carbureator, headlight relays, muffler, doors (rocker panels completely rusted through and missing interior shell), speakers, radio, and probaby other stuff I've forgotten now. I like my '89 wagon now, but I still miss the old one. Parts kept falling off, but it kept running no matter.