Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sudden Squealing from Right Front

3 blocks from home today, my car started squealing like crazy. It's not an engine squeal, but it's proportional to speed. There's creaking, squealing, all sorts of high pitched noises. It sounded like it's coming from the left front wheel. I felt the rotor to see if it was hot, and it was very hot >220F because my wetted finger hissed when it touched. I checked the rear right too, and it seemed equally hot so I assume this is normal. It's possible it may also be proportional to turns and brake pressure too?

This happened quite suddenly like I said, and it sounds absolutely terrible.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Reid

3 blocks from home today, my car started squealing like crazy. It's not an engine squeal, but it's proportional to speed. There's creaking, squealing, all sorts of high pitched noises. It sounded like it's coming from the left front wheel. I felt the rotor to see if it was hot, and it was very hot >220F because my wetted finger hissed when it touched. I checked the rear right too, and it seemed equally hot so I assume this is normal. It's possible it may also be proportional to turns and brake pressure too?

This happened quite suddenly like I said, and it sounds absolutely terrible.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Reid

Possibly a piece of gravel between the backing plate and the rotor. But, to be safe, a knowledgable person should inspect the brakes.

Just took it up to the local Midas to get the brakes inspected. The front pads needed replacing. The wear clip was rubbing and making that terrible noise. He replaced the front pads, I paid him $86 and the squeek is gone....at least it was on the way home. Keep your fingers crossed!

Reid

Just took it up to the local Midas to get the brakes inspected. The front pads needed replacing. The wear clip was rubbing and making that terrible noise. He replaced the front pads, I paid him $86 and the squeek is gone....at least it was on the way home. Keep your fingers crossed!

Reid

Glad you're fixed up!

I sometimes get sudden squealing from the front right seat if my wife doesn't like the way I take clover-leafs!