Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've been slowly working on pulling the engine to replace the clutch but haven't been able to find any real good diagrams. Can anyone tell how many bolts/nuts there are holding the engine to the transaxle? I remived four and it seems to want to come apart. Facing the engine the left side has about a 1/4" gap the right about 1/16". Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated.

The anti-dive "dig bone" on the top of the transaxel has to be removed as well. Lift the engine out enough to lift the tranny a bit, and remove the radiator as well. there are only 4, so if you got one on each side in front of the halfshafts, and one on each side near the top, you should be good to go. . .

It is easier, however, to remove the tranny when doing this job. Is there a reason you are pulling the engine instead? there is a lot less to disconnecr/reconnect when pulling the tranny than when pulling the engine. That is a much better route unless you are also doing work on the engine that requires removing it from the car (or is made a lot easier by doing this)

The anti-dive "dig bone" on the top of the transaxel has to be removed as well. Lift the engine out enough to lift the tranny a bit, and remove the radiator as well. there are only 4, so if you got one on each side in front of the halfshafts, and one on each side near the top, you should be good to go. . .

It is easier, however, to remove the tranny when doing this job. Is there a reason you are pulling the engine instead? there is a lot less to disconnecr/reconnect when pulling the tranny than when pulling the engine. That is a much better route unless you are also doing work on the engine that requires removing it from the car (or is made a lot easier by doing this)

I don't have the ability to lift the car high enough to drop the trans, but I also thought I would do some work replacing gaskets retightning valve covers etc. Developed an oil leak. I have no idea what the anti dive is but I'll see if I can find a schematic. What does it look like?

I've been slowly working on pulling the engine to replace the clutch but haven't been able to find any real good diagrams. Can anyone tell how many bolts/nuts there are holding the engine to the transaxle? I remived four and it seems to want to come apart. Facing the engine the left side has about a 1/4" gap the right about 1/16". Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated.

From the haynes manual

"Remove the pitching stoper (anti-dive bone shaped). In place of the pitching stopper, subaru recomends installing a special tool to adjust the angle of the engine to facilitate transakel removal.If you are unable to obtain the special subaru tool, you will need an extra jack or engine hoist to slightly raise the front of the engine Removing and installing the transaxle without either of these tools is very difficult"

Also in the engine removal section it says to remove this brace. It also describes four bolts, 2 upper two lower.

nipper

Engine is out, clutch is out. Need to order a new clutch and put it all back together. Thank you all for your help. This is a great web site.

aee

Be sure to resurface the flywheel. It will make the new clutch grab better, and last longer. also make sure to look for cracks in the flywheel. I've pulled a lot of Suby engines and I've see a number if cracked flywheels (including one of my own). . .