Ultimate Subaru Message Board

security system switch damaged

I have a 98 Outback that I had to remove the instrument panel bezel last night to dislodge something small that fell down between the bezel and the plexi covering the instrument dials. When I put the bezel back in I inadvertantly pushed against the security indicator light and apparently damaged it.

I looked online to figure out what part this was and see about replacing it. I found one site that said what I have is not just an indicator light but something referred to as a "valet switch". Apparently pushing the button that the indicator light is in sets the security system into "valet mode". I am not too clear exactly what that means because I could not find a detailed description nor does my owners manual mention this switch, it only mentions the simple indicator light.

Since this switch is damaged, I do not know how this might affect my security system. I spoke to the parts people at my local Subaru dealer and what they pulled up sounded like the simple indicator light when what I need is this valet switch. Can someone here provide me with a part number or catalog description of this switch so I can provide it to the dealer? Perhaps that information will enable them to narrow down the specific part I would need.

I have a 98 Outback that I had to remove the instrument panel bezel last night to dislodge something small that fell down between the bezel and the plexi covering the instrument dials. When I put the bezel back in I inadvertantly pushed against the security indicator light and apparently damaged it.

I looked online to figure out what part this was and see about replacing it. I found one site that said what I have is not just an indicator light but something referred to as a "valet switch". Apparently pushing the button that the indicator light is in sets the security system into "valet mode". I am not too clear exactly what that means because I could not find a detailed description nor does my owners manual mention this switch, it only mentions the simple indicator light.

Since this switch is damaged, I do not know how this might affect my security system. I spoke to the parts people at my local Subaru dealer and what they pulled up sounded like the simple indicator light when what I need is this valet switch. Can someone here provide me with a part number or catalog description of this switch so I can provide it to the dealer? Perhaps that information will enable them to narrow down the specific part I would need.

Try to call/email Jamie at www.subarugenuineparts.com if no one here knows precisely what you need.

We have a '98 Outback Limited and yes, that indicator light is also the push-button switch for putting the system into valet mode. Because the Subaru security system upgrade was a dealer-installed accessory for 1998, operating instructions for it were provided in an owner's manual insert that we were given when we took delivery of the car. (The upgrade kit, which is actually the alarm kit, came with the car and was listed on the window sticker, but the dealer installed the kit when the car arrived there after we ordered it). I would be surprised if parts for the security system upgrade were available separately since it was originally made as a kit.......let me know if you want me to fax you a copy of that owner's manual insert......

All I really want to know is what exactly does valet mode do to the security system. I might be able to repair the button and LED on my own if I have to otherwise buy a $300 security system I already have. It would make little sense to do that to fix a 50-cent item. Also, rather than getting something faxed, do you think my Subaru dealer might be able to find a copy of that publication?

All I really want to know is what exactly does valet mode do to the security system. I might be able to repair the button and LED on my own if I have to otherwise buy a $300 security system I already have. It would make little sense to do that to fix a 50-cent item. Also, rather than getting something faxed, do you think my Subaru dealer might be able to find a copy of that publication?

Valet mode turns the alarm system off temporarily so if you leave the vehicle with a parking garage attendant, they won't set the alarm off. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to contact your Subaru dealer but remember, the owner's manual insert for the upgrade kit only came with the kit. I can't picture a dealer having this little 3 page guide laying around. As you're probably aware, the trouble with many dealers is that personnel come and go, and asking current employees about a 1998 accessory may get you nothing but blank stares.