Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What to do when you suck in water?

SakoTGrimes

Reading a "Subies can swim" thread inspired me to do some water crossings of my own. I'll take precautions, but I know eventually that SPFI EA82 will get wet. What do I do then? Is it safe to run the engine? Will I need to change the oil or use an additive? Will just a little water do significant damage? It'd be good to know before it happens. Thanks

It depends on how much you drowned the engine. If its real bad, pull out the sparkplugs and crank the engine over to get any water out of the cylinders. Definatly change the oil and maybe check the intake hoses for water too. If you dont have extensions on your diff air breathers you might want to drain and refiil those.

Sealing the distributor is the biggie, Ive had water slosh half way up the windshield on my brat without sucking water, but the steam F's up the distributor about 100 yds later. A snokel is a must if your gonna get serious.

A surgical glove can be duct taped around the dist run the wires through a finger.

Also, water inside the coil wire ends will cause sum trouble.

NEVER! SHUT OFF THE ENGINE! with the exhaust pipe under-water.

Always service ALL the fluids and housings after a nice swim. It will save you alot of trouble in the end.

Venting all the housings inside the vehical is a good Idea.

Also when crossing a flooded stream in my 78 wagon I floated about 5 yards down stream. It was uncomfortable. But in bigger water it could be deadly,

use yer head and have fun.

The big baddie of hydrolocking an engine is the potential for bent rods. Now, having hydrolocked various ATV motors and a ford probe motor without ill effects, I assumed this was a worst case scenario hell freezes over kind of ocurrance. IT ISN'T. 3k RPM and a good slug of water is DEATH to an engine.

Sucking in water is not a harmless inconvienience, swap the fluids-pull the plugs deal. Don't expect to drive away from a hydrolocking. My EA82 is absolute trash after sucking in a good bit of water. I was in low range, floored, about 3-4k rpm and bwooowww-WHAM. Bent rod, knocks like an ex trying to get in the front door. Junk.

I cannot advise water crossings greater than 6" deep without a modified intake. Please don't trash your engine while out having fun. The adventure aspect goes up, but the fun level goes way down.

About 2 feet is probably going to be the maximum for me. Does my 92 Loyale have a distributor? I thought it was all electronic.

oh man, look under the hood! just pullin your leg, but seriously, the big thing that all the plug wires are attached to, that's the disty. EJ series motors don't have a disty, but EA's definately do.

wow, 3-4k rpm's?! no wonder you F--ed up your motor! I guess I should just spill the beans, it'll be a week or so before I get good pics/video of it, but I went through easily 2.5-3 FEET of water last weekend...got mud on the crank angle sensor, she came home on a tow strap! stock intake: DRY!!! I was crawling through it, speed is your enemy in water! you'd be suprised how soft the stuff can be and you can still be moving, hills are a different story, but relatively flat bottoms of water crossings, take it easy. and protect the electronics. If you like hitting the water at WOT 3-4k rpm's, yea, get a snorkel, and REALLY protect your electronics. I was in stuff so deep, I was worried about the ECU!

:leave your foot off the gas as you roll the car out of the hole in second gear, foot off the clutch, of course. When clear of the water, set parking brake, depress clutch, hold throttle fully open and run starter until motor takes over. Oil change may be necessary if oil is contaminated.Suby on.

oh man, look under the hood! just pullin your leg, but seriously, the big thing that all the plug wires are attached to, that's the disty. EJ series motors don't have a disty, but EA's definately do.

wow, 3-4k rpm's?! no wonder you F--ed up your motor! I guess I should just spill the beans, it'll be a week or so before I get good pics/video of it, but I went through easily 2.5-3 FEET of water last weekend...got mud on the crank angle sensor, she came home on a tow strap! stock intake: DRY!!! I was crawling through it, speed is your enemy in water! you'd be suprised how soft the stuff can be and you can still be moving, hills are a different story, but relatively flat bottoms of water crossings, take it easy. and protect the electronics. If you like hitting the water at WOT 3-4k rpm's, yea, get a snorkel, and REALLY protect your electronics. I was in stuff so deep, I was worried about the ECU!