Ultimate Subaru Message Board

01 H6 major engine trouble

They found a bit of sludge when they pulled the cover and there was some speculation that this might have been the source of the problem. And yes I am deligent about my oil changes. BUT I was told to start changing the oil every 2k. Seems this was not the first one that had sludged up.

They found a bit of sludge when they pulled the cover and there was some speculation that this might have been the source of the problem. And yes I am deligent about my oil changes. BUT I was told to start changing the oil every 2k. Seems this was not the first one that had sludged up.

What the FSCK?!?!?!

If the engine is sludging up at 2K (or even 3K) then there is a major problem with the design of that engine. This indicates that the engine is getting hot enough to boil the oil to sludge, or the filter is not holding the sediment from the engine (because it is producing too much?) then the root problem needs to be corrected. Telling the customer that he needs to change the oil more often is not a solution.

This is why some companies have gone to synthetics. In a number of modern engines the operating temp is hot enough to sludge them up. Most timing chain tensiors are hydraulic these days and sludge is a no no.

If it were my car it would get synthetic oil and regular monitoring with oil analis

for a while. I am not sure what conditions in Colorado might have to do with it, or if this will turn out to be a problem as with some Toyotas and Hondas.

It sure sounds easy to fix.