Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Shopping List for New Motor

I'm replacing my cars (87GL 4wd/stick) engine with a unmolested 72k/mi motor (also 87, DL 2wd/Auto) and have some questions while the motor is sitting on the stand.

1) Timing belts look new to me, if they were 72k/mi original belts would they show signs of wear? (cracks worn etc?) (they don't have any markings (i.e. "Subaru") on them.) So I think they were recently replaced. (All the covers were in place and all the nuts were perfectly torqued and came out - 'like butta')

2) I suppose I should replace the Oil Pump & Water Pump 'just because' are AutoZone (or whatever) replacement pumps as good as Subaru? or should I stick with Soob (big price difference?) Do all the necessary O-rings, gaskets, and or seals come with the pumps or do I need to buy them separately?

3) The motor runs great but it's a leaker; which O-rings, gaskets, and or seals should I be replacing?

4) The clutch (from my old motor) is pretty good (I think!) Wifey drove it mostly and she's tough on clutches. It's got about 2 years on it... Can I measure it to tell how much is left? Or should I bite the bullet & just replace!?

5) The exhaust studs (all 4) stayed in the motor. The threads that were under (and protected by) the nuts are ok but the rest of the threads that were exposed to the elements are rusted away. I'm inclined to 'let sleeping dogs lay' EXCEPT that I live in PA (i.e. Rust-Belt) and I know that if I don't replace them now they will be a bigger problem a couple years down the line. What's the best course of action? (I've been soaking them in Blaster) Should I heat around them? Heat the studs themselves? I'd love to get them out & a nice new set with anti-seize put in.

6) Anything I am forgetting?

Try 1stsubarupart.com or thepartsbin.com. Stay away from NAPA seals and gaskets.

Reseal the cam towers while you're at it. Use Permatex Anaerobic Sealant, not RTV. For the oil pump, I actually got an OEM one cheaper at 1stsubaruparts.com than I could get an aftermarket one at NAPA.

Replace all the little tiny coolant hoses that go from the block to the intake manifold and various other places. These hoses always get neglected, and this is a good time to replace them.

hey cap,im no expert as u can see from all my posts,but i heard on subaru as well as mazda since i have both,that u should change the timing belts every 60,000 miles regardless of what they look like, just throwing in my 2 cents, hope this helps. bb