Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1995 Legacy Wagon.....

Took it on errands today and everything was fine. Shut the car off at the last place and finished up the running around, came back out to the car to start it. It would turn over, but really didn't want to start. Eventually it did start, but the check engine light is on. Stopped at a gas station on the way home. No one there to run the computer. Went to start the car and the same thing happened. Once it's running it goes fine, it's just in the starting and the CEL is now on (wasn't before). I don't have a computer to check codes, and as of now, no one can get me in til the end of the week, just to run codes! Any advice on possible sensors or what ever would be appreciated.

I don't have a computer to check codes, and as of now, no one can get me in til the end of the week, just to run codes!
Get in the Zone! AutoZone can read your Check Engine Light for free. It takes less than a minute. Or if you have an old-school computer, you can read the codes without a tool.

I had a fun problem with my Legacy this afternoon. I laid my tools out on top of the engine, as usual, and two of the ignition wires came loose. I started up the engine, and it didn't want to start. On the second try, it started, then sputtered and died. If I had driven it like this, my Check Engine Light would have come on and shown a misfire on cylinders one and three.

Point being, don't start replacing parts without getting the codes read.

I have had the same problems recently with my 1996 Legacy wagon. However my starting problems seem to occur after the car has sat for a least a couple of days. When it does start it takes about five minutes to run smooth and by that time the CEL has come on. I have been able to clear the light by disconnecting the battery for at least a minute. Now, I am trying to cause the bad start because I found that Auto Zone parts stores will code read for free.

The problem may due to a leaky injector and it is running rich until the excess fuel is burned up. There may also be a problem with the EGR valve leaking possibly. Hopefully checking the codes will give you a clue to the problem.

You can also purchase a code reader for around 30 dollars if you want.