Ultimate Subaru Message Board

buzzing sound with ignition on, engine off and depressed gas pedal

Is it normal? It happens everytime I try. The buzzing sound is somewhere from engine and stops when I release the pedal.

Can anyone with 2000-2004 SOHV 2.5L H4 confirm if that noise is normal?

Additional observations: with engine off, OBD2 interface registers MAP 29.5 inHg (normal at sea level) but 25 RPM, 2% engine load, and 0.4 lb/min air flow (i know, it should be 0 for all of them). After the pedal manuver, the pressure jumps to 30.1, 25 RPM persists, but the other values go to 0. WTF?

Am I overanalyzing?

The only thing i can think of is maybe in the fuel system. THe fuel pump is running at this time, and maybe you have a noisey fuel pressure regulator or acumilator. Stick your head under the hood and see if you can find it :) See whats running and whats not.

nipper

Is it normal? It happens everytime I try. The buzzing sound is somewhere from engine and stops when I release the pedal.

Can anyone with 2000-2004 SOHV 2.5L H4 confirm if that noise is normal?

Additional observations: with engine off, OBD2 interface registers MAP 29.5 inHg (normal at sea level) but 25 RPM, 2% engine load, and 0.4 lb/min air flow (i know, it should be 0 for all of them). After the pedal manuver, the pressure jumps to 30.1, 25 RPM persists, but the other values go to 0. WTF?

Am I overanalyzing?

I get that on my 4EAT vehicle. I always assumed it was sound the duty-cycle of solenoid "C" in action.

In order to control analog fluid pressure to the rear clutch, it needs to be rapidly pulsed (buzzed) with a variable duty-cycle the same way that fuel injectors are.

So if you tell me that you have a manual trans then then I'm completely wrong. :D

So, we have votes for TPS, fuel pump, and ABS. It doesn't really matter.

I guess I can ask my wife to press the pedal and I will check myself what is making the noise.

Can someone try and tell me if it can be duplicated in another subaru?

Thanks!

************ man, I can duplicate it with no prob. Just played a little jig with the pedal. LOL. I think it's the "everything's fine, now drive me" sound. :banana:

BTW:

This is on a 99 2.5L DOHC. Hope this helps.