Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'90 Legacy defrost steaming & steaming up

Hey USC!

First time on the site and I'm trying to troubleshoot a heating/cooling problem that started yesterday. Usually the defrost on the '90 Legacy wagon is great, but my windshield started fogging up last night and I kicked on the defrost and it socked it my entire windshield in a matter of seconds.

It smells like hot radiator fluid and when on hot, it physically steams, and fogs the windshield. Nothing else is out of normal, the temp gauge is a steading 1/3 as usual and the vents are still pushing heat, but with more water content and odor than desirable. Also, engine not hotter than usual (under the hood) and all the belts are in tact as well, and the reservoir has the normal about of fluid.

Any suggestions? Thanx!!

your heater core is leaking into the ducts,maybe a loose hose under hood next to heater core where it hooks on but not likely. ed

Do you think this is something I can fix myself or is a complex procedure?

I have to take it in anyway for new CV Boots/Joints in the next few weeks.

I got an engine replacement 15 months ago, I don't thing the heater core was part of the job, but is it possible that the tech - who seemed know his stuff- may have not fit the hose to the core back on quite so well?

A full leak in the heater core is pretty rare isn't it?

What every it is, its a weekend job...

I think the stop leak would be an extreme last resort.