Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Questions on strut swap

i've been doing some searching on this site to find out some details on what will work with my 85 GL wagon. I saw a couple of posts regarding that a older honda front will bolt on to the rear but the main questions that i would love to have answered are: what adjustable struts were made for an 85 DR 5speed wagon, what do they run, and what have others found to work well?

neal

If you want the adjustable ones, you'll need to go to the dealership. There are alot of Left hand ones but no Right handed ones in the states. I had a set on order from Japan before my dealership went under. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but if you have a dealer that is willing to do the work they can be had for around $90 each. Tim

the stock subar height adjustable front and rear struts came on the 85 and 86 4wd wagons

when ordering parts they should be listed for your car. even if you had a later year order for 85 and 86, as far as the parts listings will be concerned

• 3 weeks later...
the stock subar height adjustable front and rear struts came on the 85 and 86 4wd wagons

when ordering parts they should be listed for your car. even if you had a later year order for 85 and 86, as far as the parts listings will be concerned

the lamb subaru nissan dealer in prescott doesn't have a clue what to look for on his computer, i spent a half hour talking to the guy with my neck curled around the desk to try and point it out. No diagram's...not even a PHOTO of the thing....nothing.

He couldn't run my VIN to get my car on the screen.

Manufactured 12/84 EA82 1985 GL Wagon 4WD 5speed manual w/ dual range tranny.

Allison auto...the parts store had the book but couldn't find the manually adjustable ones...only air ride....i assumed he ment electric pneumatic like those on some rare legos.

Any beta on part codes would be delightful for them dang struts. front and back.

neal

I found a set at one of the scrapyards where you pull the parts you want. I tried to get new ones, but the aftermarket suppliers just make fixed ones, with the height set half way between the "high" and "low" end of the adjustment. Subaru wanted a lot of cash for them. This is what I found a few years ago.

Dave

I found a set at one of the scrapyards where you pull the parts you want. I tried to get new ones, but the aftermarket suppliers just make fixed ones, with the height set half way between the "high" and "low" end of the adjustment. Subaru wanted a lot of cash for them. This is what I found a few years ago.

Dave

yeah, i need part numbers/codes though

please help

neal