Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Not trying to set anyone off here. I'm going to be due for a new grocery getter for the family withing the next 24 months. I have a 98 outback limited and a 90 legacy sedan. One will have to go.

The new Outback does look better than the ones from the prior couple years. Yet, the Dodge Magnum R/T HEMI just has it. Anyone thinking the same thing?

Not trying to set anyone off here. I'm going to be due for a new grocery getter for the family withing the next 24 months. I have a 98 outback limited and a 90 legacy sedan. One will have to go.

The new Outback does look better than the ones from the prior couple years. Yet, the Dodge Magnum R/T HEMI just has it. Anyone thinking the same thing?

Buy the one that you can drive without getting a back/butt/leg/knee ache. In other words; test drive each for a minimum of twenty miles. If the dealer won't let you do this, move along because it will be the Subaru dealer and he's/she's hiding something.

Juan

to consider a Magnum as we are entering the highest priced fuel the US has ever seen. I think the value of big cars will drop as it did during the fuel embargo. For me I will be hauling my groceries in a 4 cyl for the forseeable future.

This month just saw a huge drop in expendable income for the average American. I watched my health insurance go up together with every item I buy increase. They all depend on shipping which means fuel.

I could understand a Subaru owner going for a Ford Freestyle, or even a Cadillac SRX, but not a Magnum.

uh in the all the miles ive spent touring across the country, up and down I-5, I-95, and the cali 395 ive seen more FORDS broke down on the side of the road than any other car ever. if your looking for a grocery-getter that sips on the gas i would go with a chevy malibu, they make a hatch too called the malibu maxx.

I for one hate the ford freestyle as much as the magnum.I think the technology the companies that build these cars are aracaic compared to subaru. For starters the Ford freestyle is based on a volvo chassis and then they go and throw the hunk of crap taurus v6 in it.I was not impressed.

I could understand a Subaru owner going for a Ford Freestyle, or even a Cadillac SRX, but not a Magnum.

The Dodge Magnum has several problems, as I see it:

• It's a Chrysler product. Fine if you want a fixer-upper.
  • Since it's a Dodge, it doesn't get the spiffy Mercedes sourced suspension bits the 300 HEMI C gets.
  • It's huge on the outside.
  • It's tiny on the inside.
  • What do you mean you need to see out of it?
  • Corners a bit like a sleepy whale, what with all that weight.
  • Mediocre brakes.
  • It'll goes like stink, but drinks gas like it too.
  • Pushrods? What is this, the 16th century?
  • What, no manual?
  • People around where I live see it as a car for a guy whose wife won't let him have a midlife-crisis car.

By the way, soobmater, you can get the Magnum in AWD.

This has become an off-topic thread, but why complain about "Chrysler electronics" if there are post here every week about cam/crank/temp/maf/map etc sensors failing? Chrysler supplied a guidance system for the moon rocket - granted, that was long ago. They have had LANs in their vehicles for 15 years.

Magnum and 300 are derived from the same platform. I'm sure Magnum Hemi has much the same suspension as the 300 Hemi sedan. Since 16th century, pushrods have come a long way, too.

By the way, soobmater, you can get the Magnum in AWD.

o, i see. hm... i didnt know that...any way, my moms friend bought one when they first came out. You definatley cannot see out of them very well. If you want somtin your gona have to do work on all the time, go ahead and get the magnum.

I work for Enterprise RentACar, and we have several Magnums (V6). The seats are like concrete, Visibility stinks (esp. Rear vis. compared to my Legacy wagon, its like looking through a crack), brakes are mediocre and far from feeling linear, and handling stinks. I cant speak for the R/T but besides looking kinda cool on the outside, the Magnum is a garbage mid-life-crisis machine.

I will take my time with this purchase. Thanks for all you input. Yet, I must say that I have been dissapointed with Subaru's evolution since the early 90's. Quality seemed to be put on the back burner starting with the 2.5L engine. I will always be devout to the 2.2L though. Maybe Subaru has peaked.

BTW, you might wan't to read the review: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/content/110808092540148901/

It's a great website. Their review of the new Subaru B9 Tripuka left me in stitches.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/content/11236156021648489006/