Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i have a 95 legacy ls awd wagon automatic. when driving with normal acceleration there's no problems, but when i have to step on it to pass it shifts great but i get a big cloud of smoke out the back once it goes over 3200 rpms. any ideas anybody.

thanks steve

i think that can be a sign of ring wear or blow by past the valve stem seals. but i doubt that on this car unless it's been abused.

a full tune up may help - i'd start at a minimum with spark plugs and a new Subaru OEM PCV valve. i'd personally get all new wires, plugs, cap, rotor, air filter....just get a complete tune up and go from there.

That is most definitely not the tranny. I'll bet you'll find it does that with it parked in your driveway.

I second the tuneup stuff. If it keeps doing it after a tuneup, try putting some heavier oil in there, say 10W40 instead, etc. If it does it less, you probably have blowby or valvestem seal issues.

i use 10w40 already and just put in new plugs and wires less than 5,000 miles ago.

That is most definitely not the tranny. I'll bet you'll find it does that with it parked in your driveway.

I second the tuneup stuff. If it keeps doing it after a tuneup, try putting some heavier oil in there, say 10W40 instead, etc. If it does it less, you probably have blowby or valvestem seal issues.

all those things were done accept the pcv valve.

i think that can be a sign of ring wear or blow by past the valve stem seals. but i doubt that on this car unless it's been abused.

a full tune up may help - i'd start at a minimum with spark plugs and a new Subaru OEM PCV valve. i'd personally get all new wires, plugs, cap, rotor, air filter....just get a complete tune up and go from there.

Do a pcv valve, and sometimes its normal to have a cloud of smoke come out when you get on it. My 97OBW is doing it , and it seemed to satrt with the relaxing of gas standards. The only thing i can think of otherwise is an 02 sensor, but in all honesty, i would not gte too frantic about it. Try a tank of Ammoco premium and see what happens, or some other brand name good gasoline.

nipper

Hmm. What color is the smoke?

Is it:

• Gray? -- That indicates your mix is fug-off rich.
  • Blue? -- That's oil burning.
  • White? -- That's coolant unless the exhaust is still cold. Then it could be steam from water condensed in there.

Take that info and add it to this:

Does it smell like:

• Gas? -- Again, hella-rich mixture.
  • It's acrid, heavy and oily? -- That is, you guessed it, oil!
  • Like burning marshmallows? -- That's coolant.

If the mixture's off, it could be O2 sensors, the ECU, injectors, plugs, wires or possibly a vacuum leak.

If it's oil, you've got ring, valvestem seal or head gasket issues.

If it's coolant, you've pooped a head gasket.