Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Well, the OBW's engine shakin' days are long gone. That new exhaust valve solved the problem, but now a new one has become apparent: this Subi shakes like a mutha on take-off.

Hot or cold--doesn't matter.

Only happens on initial take-off. No problemo on 1-2-3-4-5 upshifting or downshifting.

Regular clutch release at regular rpm--judders most but not all of the time.

Slow release at low rpm--BIG judders.

Slow release at 1500-2000 rpm--BIG, kidney-bruising judders.

Fast release at 1500-2000--not much of a judder, but the missus doesn't appreciate launching.

The weird thing is that the previous owner gave me a receipt from the dealer in Pennsylvania (Minooka) for a $1000 clutch and rear separator plate replacement less than 20k miles ago. If this was a Datsun, I'd say somebody at the dealership was sloppy with the clutch plate and got some grease on it, since there're no oil leaks on the car. But then I noticed that '02 Subis are known for having clutch judder problems. The solution on many web sites: replace the clutch with an OEM Subi unit. Been there, done that.

Any thoughts on this one? As always, thanks in advance.

[subaru came out with a new clutch kit that includes a new flywheel.

I would recommend buying the updated clutch kit. Do you know if the other dealer put in the updated style clutch?

QUOTE=q240z]Well, the OBW's engine shakin' days are long gone. That new exhaust valve solved the problem, but now a new one has become apparent: this Subi shakes like a mutha on take-off.

Hot or cold--doesn't matter.

Only happens on initial take-off. No problemo on 1-2-3-4-5 upshifting or downshifting.

Regular clutch release at regular rpm--judders most but not all of the time.

Slow release at low rpm--BIG judders.

Slow release at 1500-2000 rpm--BIG, kidney-bruising judders.

Fast release at 1500-2000--not much of a judder, but the missus doesn't appreciate launching.

The weird thing is that the previous owner gave me a receipt from the dealer in Pennsylvania (Minooka) for a $1000 clutch and rear separator plate replacement less than 20k miles ago. If this was a Datsun, I'd say somebody at the dealership was sloppy with the clutch plate and got some grease on it, since there're no oil leaks on the car. But then I noticed that '02 Subis are known for having clutch judder problems. The solution on many web sites: replace the clutch with an OEM Subi unit. Been there, done that.

Any thoughts on this one? As always, thanks in advance.

The work was done by Subaru, so I assume it was done with Subaru brand parts, though there's no mention of a flywheel replacement on the work order. The work was done in at the end of 2003. I was under the impression that the clutch troubles were specifically associated with the 2002 model year cars.

You don't suppose the dealer used parts in stock that he must have known were faulty, do you? Unfortunately, since the work was done so long ago I doubt they'll warranty it.

I was under the impression that the clutch troubles were specifically associated with the 2002 model year cars.

Nope clutch judder is a common complaint amongst all model years. However usually it's not as bad as you describe. Mostly on initial start up and when it's cold.

organic clutches that chattered. When I got sick of the chatter in my 99 I had the kit fitted that cured 99% of it. My dealer did not know the new numbers and I had to order the upgraded clutch by the number or get one just like I had. Several folks posted the numbers for this kit at the time. I would think a search would find the proper numbers, if not I still have the recipts at home. It's been a couple of years now and my clutch is still pretty good.

It turns out that organics are good for vegetables, but not so great in clutch lining.

PART NUMBER KIT WHICH INCLUES THE FLYWHEEL BUT NOT TH T.O. BEARING IS

32098AA020

organic clutches that chattered. When I got sick of the chatter in my 99 I had the kit fitted that cured 99% of it. My dealer did not know the new numbers and I had to order the upgraded clutch by the number or get one just like I had. Several folks posted the numbers for this kit at the time. I would think a search would find the proper numbers, if not I still have the recipts at home. It's been a couple of years now and my clutch is still pretty good.

It turns out that organics are good for vegetables, but not so great in clutch lining.