Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The only thing we don't like is it seems the headrest on the 2006 Forester keeps our heads at a forward tilt, which makes long distance drive uncomfortable. Anyone else notice this, or just us, and can the headrest be manipulated to a different angle?

The only thing we don't like is it seems the headrest on the 2006 Forester keeps our heads at a forward tilt, which makes long distance drive uncomfortable. Anyone else notice this, or just us, and can the headrest be manipulated to a different angle?

Your's is , IIRC, the second complaint I've read about this. Perhaps speaking to the dealer would be a good idea. I THINK your car is equipped with the 'dope slap' headrests that move forward on impact to help reduce 'whiplash'. maybe there is a common failure or mis adjustment/installation somewhere, the factory or predelivery or something. Does it appear they could just be insatlled backwards or something.

I dunno

Yup, my Imp's headrests feel the same. I reclined the back one click and it seemed ok. Then I found out I had a chronic neck injury from an old car accident that means I could end up with a baaaaaaad problem (C1 spinal damage) if I ever extend my neck in an accident again. So I put up with it, cuz I'm a whole lot safer with pushy headrests.

Just got a reply back from Subaru of America's website. Here is their explanation:

"The front seats of the 2006 Subaru models are equipped with active head restraints. They automatically tilt forward slightly in the event the vehicle is struck from the rear, decreasing the amount of rearward head movement and thus reducing the risk of whiplash. For maximum effectiveness, the head restraint should be adjusted so the center of the head restraint is closest to the top of the occupant's ears."

Of course, they do not recommend mods of any type to the head restraint.

For now, we just have to deal with it.

Just got a reply back from Subaru of America's website. Here is their explanation:

"The front seats of the 2006 Subaru models are equipped with active head restraints. They automatically tilt forward slightly in the event the vehicle is struck from the rear, decreasing the amount of rearward head movement and thus reducing the risk of whiplash. For maximum effectiveness, the head restraint should be adjusted so the center of the head restraint is closest to the top of the occupant's ears."

Of course, they do not recommend mods of any type to the head restraint.

For now, we just have to deal with it.

But how would you know if they had already been 'activated' in shipping or were otherwise broken/maladjusted? can you go back to the dealership and confirm that ALL the Foresters on the lot are like that or just a few or ?

But how would you know if they had already been 'activated' in shipping or were otherwise broken/maladjusted? can you go back to the dealership and confirm that ALL the Foresters on the lot are like that or just a few or ?

That's a thought. I guess you would just go to a dealer and sit in a few to try them out and compare how it feels. At this point, I don't know what else to do.

That's a thought. I guess you would just go to a dealer and sit in a few to try them out and compare how it feels. At this point, I don't know what else to do.

Not the most elegant solution, but you could add a back rest (low style) which would put you a couple of inches forward relative to the head rest. (Obus Forme highly recommended.)

I like a very upright seating position myself. I too have found in newer cars that the headrest is too close. It is bumping the back of my head, making me tilt it forward, something that my neck will not tolerate for long. I know I'd be making some sort of modification if I had the vehicle, since I wouldn't be able to live with it.

Commuter

Not the most elegant solution, but you could add a back rest (low style) which would put you a couple of inches forward relative to the head rest. (Obus Forme highly recommended.)

I like a very upright seating position myself. I too have found in newer cars that the headrest is too close. It is bumping the back of my head, making me tilt it forward, something that my neck will not tolerate for long. I know I'd be making some sort of modification if I had the vehicle, since I wouldn't be able to live with it.

Commuter

The back rest may be a solution. Especially since Subaru does not recommend mods to the head restraint.

• 9 months later...
  • 9 months later...
Or, might the headrest from an '05 fit?

I just bought my 5th Subaru, a 2007 Forester. I am quite happy with it except for the headrest problem... and it is a very serious problem.

The headrests on the 2006 and 2007 Foresters are tilted so far forward that it is impossible to rest your back on the back of the seat. (The angle where the headrest and the seat meet form the same angle as the elbow of a boomerang.) If your back is snuggly supported by the back of the seat, your head will be forced so far forward that you will be looking at your crotch.

I spoke to the dealer who said there is no fix or adjustment except for reclining the seat back far enough that the headrest is out of the way. He said that the headrest is designed for your head to touch in the middle of the headrest. Since the headrest is flat and angled forward, it will touch only at the back corner of your head and not support the lower head or neck. Unfortunately, if you do that, you no longer have any back support and you will fatigue very quickly. This headrest turns long trips into agony.

I was in my brother's 2005 Forester last week. That model has soft headrests that are actually comfortable to use. I can't imagine that other owners haven't been bothered by this problem. I find it so uncomfortable that unless I can remedy the problem soon, I think I will trade out the car.... and it's less than a month old.

The suggestion about fitting a 2005 headrest to the 2007 seat sounds like a workable solution. Does anyone knw if it fits? I suppose I could remove the headrest altogether, but that defeats the safety purpose of having a headrest. Perhaps the idea of having such a Godawful headrest was that no one would drive the car and everyone would be safer.

If you see me at a get-together, just call me "Hunchback Harry".

I can't imagine that other owners haven't been bothered by this problem. I find it so uncomfortable that unless I can remedy the problem soon, I think I will trade out the car.... and it's less than a month old.

The suggestion about fitting a 2005 headrest to the 2007 seat sounds like a workable solution. Does anyone knw if it fits?

Others HAVE been bothered, our 'new' 2006 Outback proves it. The previous owner was so bothered that he somehow persuaded the local dealer to swap out a set of '05 headrests on the car. I'm sure SOA would freak out if they knew. The headrest no longer touch our heads, however they are also no longer adjustable, since the notches are on the opposite sides of the posts.

I'd rather have the originals. :(

I've seen and heard complaints about headrests in other cars, as well. Volvo comes to mind. My Dad has a Ford 500, which is a mostly Volvo design (Ford owns Volvo), and the headrests are very annoying.

The new headrest designs make for excellent crash test results. But the crash test dummies never complain of back or neck pain from uncomfortable seating positions.

The new headrest designs make for excellent crash test results. But the crash test dummies never complain of back or neck pain from uncomfortable seating positions.

I've had the new Forester for about a month now. I find the headrest so uncomfortable that I've been taking my clunker 20-year old Dodge truck on errands instead of the Forester. I look into every other Forester that I pass and none seem to have the drastic tilt of my headrests that I have on mine. I've noticed that the headrest is barely padded and you can feel the hard support base right under the skimpy padding. I'm beginning to think that my car must have fallen off of the car carrier and triggered the headrest to move forward. I'm taking it back to the dealer next week. If it can't be fixed, I'm through with Subaru. I guess that 5 was NOT the charm (it's our 5th Subaru).

• 1 month later...
I've had the new Forester for about a month now. I find the headrest so uncomfortable that I've been taking my clunker 20-year old Dodge truck on errands instead of the Forester. I look into every other Forester that I pass and none seem to have the drastic tilt of my headrests that I have on mine. I've noticed that the headrest is barely padded and you can feel the hard support base right under the skimpy padding. I'm beginning to think that my car must have fallen off of the car carrier and triggered the headrest to move forward. I'm taking it back to the dealer next week. If it can't be fixed, I'm through with Subaru. I guess that 5 was NOT the charm (it's our 5th Subaru).

My car did not fall off the car carrier. Sadly, the problem exists on every '07 Subaru model with this asinine head restraint design, which I believe is all of them except a WRX Sport version.

My '07 Forester hit 2,500 miles today. The annoying headrest/restraint is still very bothersome. It is not something you get used to. I've heard from numerous owners with similar complaints. I think Subaru is going to have to do a major redesign on the headrests for the entire line or risk losing many sales. The discomfort with the headrest is not something that I noticed during a 10 minute test drive, but it became painfully obvious over the next few weeks, particularly on longer drives.

I spent a few hours at my Subaru dealer today in Hartford, CT. It's the largest new Subaru facility in the US and it's spacious with an indoor drive-in service area (great idea). I really appreciated the fact that they put up with my wierd behavior. I sat in every vehicle only to confirm that every front seat headreast on '07 models is based on their new active restraint design, meaning the headrest pushes your head forward if you are sitting relatively erect with your back firmly supported by the back of the seat. (I would fire the engineer who designed it.)

I tried swapping headrests from different models into my Forester. The smaller headrests on the back seats do not interchange with the front ones. Nothing helped until I started checking out previous models. The headrests from the '05 Foresters are a perfect match for the supports in the '07 seat. They interchange like a glove. And the '05 headrest is a flatter design that does not force the head forward. It was infinitely more comfortable. Now I have to call Subaru to order (or exchange) headrests.

I'll let you know what happens.

My car did not fall off the car carrier. Sadly, the problem exists on every '07 Subaru model with this asinine head restraint design, which I believe is all of them except a WRX Sport version.

My '07 Forester hit 2,500 miles today. The annoying headrest/restraint is still very bothersome. It is not something you get used to. I've heard from numerous owners with similar complaints. I think Subaru is going to have to do a major redesign on the headrests for the entire line or risk losing many sales. The discomfort with the headrest is not something that I noticed during a 10 minute test drive, but it became painfully obvious over the next few weeks, particularly on longer drives.

I spent a few hours at my Subaru dealer today in Hartford, CT. It's the largest new Subaru facility in the US and it's spacious with an indoor drive-in service area (great idea). I really appreciated the fact that they put up with my wierd behavior. I sat in every vehicle only to confirm that every front seat headreast on '07 models is based on their new active restraint design, meaning the headrest pushes your head forward if you are sitting relatively erect with your back firmly supported by the back of the seat. (I would fire the engineer who designed it.)

I tried swapping headrests from different models into my Forester. The smaller headrests on the back seats do not interchange with the front ones. Nothing helped until I started checking out previous models. The headrests from the '05 Foresters are a perfect match for the supports in the '07 seat. They interchange like a glove. And the '05 headrest is a flatter design that does not force the head forward. It was infinitely more comfortable. Now I have to call Subaru to order (or exchange) headrests.

I'll let you know what happens.

The interchange, however the adjustment detents are on the opposite side of the posts, so there is no longer a height adjustment, they all the way down all the time ... endovit.

My '07 Forester hit 2,500 miles today. The annoying headrest/restraint is still very bothersome. It is not something you get used to. I've heard from numerous owners with similar complaints.....

Foveator - See my prior post about using an Obus Forme back rest. I've been using these for about 20 years and would not be without it. Go with the low-back or wideback. That should keep it below the level of the headrest.

It would be a shame to give up on a vehicle you (presumeably) like for this one thing.

As to the use of 2005 head rests, but the notches are on the wrong side... anyone tried creating notches on the proper side? E.g. with a file? Just curious.

Commuter

Foveator - See my prior post about using an Obus Forme back rest. I've been using these for about 20 years and would not be without it. Go with the low-back or wideback. That should keep it below the level of the headrest.

It would be a shame to give up on a vehicle you (presumeably) like for this one thing.

As to the use of 2005 head rests, but the notches are on the wrong side... anyone tried creating notches on the proper side? E.g. with a file? Just curious.

Commuter

I haven't, yet. But I just got a new Dremel (my old one died recently) and plan to. Maybe this will give me the incentive to do it and report. :rolleyes:

I haven't, yet. But I just got a new Dremel (my old one died recently) and plan to. Maybe this will give me the incentive to do it and report. :rolleyes:

Instant follow-up:

The local Subaru dealer just called me and they got the parts to make the '05 headrests work correctly in the '06. Here's the scoop.

You can (sometimes) dig the plastic bushings and locking tabs out of the seatback and just turn 'em around and snap 'em back in. They ordered new ones 'cause they sometimes break when you're trying to get them out.

So to put earlier headrests in just replace the bushings and snaps turned around the other way. Don't know the cost, this is a warranty job.

Guess I won't be grinding the posts after all.

• 2 weeks later...
Instant follow-up:

The local Subaru dealer just called me and they got the parts to make the '05 headrests work correctly in the '06. Here's the scoop.

You can (sometimes) dig the plastic bushings and locking tabs out of the seatback and just turn 'em around and snap 'em back in. They ordered new ones 'cause they sometimes break when you're trying to get them out.

So to put earlier headrests in just replace the bushings and snaps turned around the other way. Don't know the cost, this is a warranty job.

Guess I won't be grinding the posts after all.

Took the car to Subaru on warranty repair yesterday. All fixed. So, the solution to the late model headrest quandry is:

1. Locate headrests from an '05 or earlier car with matching upholstry.

2. Remove your headrest, and carefully pry out the adjustment bushings/ locking tabs (one per seat). If you break one you can order a new one, they are available in all colors.

3. Reverse the locking bushing to place thte tab on the correct side of the headrest post (the side with the notches).

4. Insert the replacement headrests ... done.

Alternately, grind new notches into the post on the correct side. I would make the new notches between the existing ones so as to not weaken the post.

You can now relax in the front seat without having your chin touch your chest.

Took the car to Subaru on warranty repair yesterday. All fixed. So, the solution to the late model haedrest quandry is:

1. Locate headrests from an '05 or earlier car with matching upholstry.

2. Remove your headrest, and carefully pry out the adjustment bushings/ locking tabs (one per seat). If you break one you can order a new one, they are available in all colors.

3. Reverse the locking bushing to place hte tab on the correct side of the headrest post (the side with teh notches).

4. Insert the replacement headrests ... done.

Alternately, grind new notches into the post on the correct side. I would make the new notches between the existing one so as to not weaken the post.

You can now relax in the front seat without having your chin touch your chest.

Thanks for the detailed information. It is a great help.

The Subaru corporate customer care rep called back and gave me the parts numbers for the beige 2005 headrests (64061SA090ES) which cost about $300 EACH. Suddenly the salvage option sounds appealing. He explained that Subaru, of course couldn't approve of the exchange as it might compromise the excellent safety rating the current head restraint system delivers. He did say that more complaints have been coming in warranting discussions at higher levels in the company.

I expect some type of redesign to occur in the near future.