Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How much power should I get?

Just ordered a manual boost controller and was thinking about running it at around 10 to 12psi. The rest of the motor is stock until i finish building my 2.5 inch exhaust. Was wondering how much of a horsepower increase I'll see with the increased boost and what kinds of problems i'll run into with that much boost.

Just ordered a manual boost controller and was thinking about running it at around 10 to 12psi. The rest of the motor is stock until i finish building my 2.5 inch exhaust. Was wondering how much of a horsepower increase I'll see with the increased boost and what kinds of problems i'll run into with that much boost.

itll feel faster across the RPM range but youll really only gain a handful of horses. turbo cars naturally feel faster than they actually are.

typical problems will arise above 12psi...head gaskets blowing, heads cracking, fuel delivery and detonation etc. around this amount of pressure, your turbo also loses efficiency...in short, any higher you will just blow heat. a legacy or wrx unit makes for an affordable replacement.

these cars do not take to mods well unless you go all out. couple the boost controller with an IC and your exhaust system and go from there. use the best gas available and stay on top of the cooling system...always let the car run for a minute or 2 after beating on it so the oil can circulate thru our primitive turbo design.

Depending on which car you have anything over 9psi will activate the HotWire MAF Fuel Cut, the only way around this problem is a Fuel Cut Defender with a 5th Injector or a Standalone or Piggyback ECU Upgrade.

If your car is pre 87 its not so hard.

These cars should have came with intercoolers! I wouldn't crank up the boost on it without installing an intercooler first. Your engine will love you for it. The stock fuel system starts to go lean around 15 or 16 psi under heavy load. I have a 5th injector that comes on at 12psi, it's a little early but better early than late.

These cars should have came with intercoolers! I wouldn't crank up the boost on it without installing an intercooler first. Your engine will love you for it. The stock fuel system starts to go lean around 15 or 16 psi under heavy load. I have a 5th injector that comes on at 12psi, it's a little early but better early than late.

Wont do you any good on a 87+ hotwire car, fuel cut is the problem.

What's a good route to go for getting an intercooler without alot of custom work? Also what's the cheapest way? I'm not looking for a hotrod just something a little more fun for on the street. I"m trying to compensate for losing my 93 Bonneville SSEi supercharged.lol

What's a good route to go for getting an intercooler without alot of custom work? Also what's the cheapest way? I'm not looking for a hotrod just something a little more fun for on the street. I"m trying to compensate for losing my 93 Bonneville SSEi supercharged.lol

Easiest and most effective option is to use a STOCK WRX Top Mount Intercooler and cut a hole in the hood for air. Custom piping must be made for the turbo to intercooler plumbing.

Depending on which car you have anything over 9psi will activate the HotWire MAF Fuel Cut, the only way around this problem is a Fuel Cut Defender with a 5th Injector or a Standalone or Piggyback ECU Upgrade.

If your car is pre 87 its not so hard.

Steveman, On an unrelated note... I checked out the link for your GL-10 sedan. Very nice!

Question: Where did you get the dual A-pillar gauge pod? I'd like to get one but I'm not sure how good a generic one will fit. Your's appears to fit very nicely. I have a 1987 GL wagon.

Thanks.

Tracy

Steveman, On an unrelated note... I checked out the link for your GL-10 sedan. Very nice!

Question: Where did you get the dual A-pillar gauge pod? I'd like to get one but I'm not sure how good a generic one will fit. Your's appears to fit very nicely. I have a 1987 GL wagon.

Thanks.

Tracy

I got mine from JEGS.com and its for a CRX, fits pretty good if you ask me.

Easiest and most effective option is to use a STOCK WRX Top Mount Intercooler and cut a hole in the hood for air. Custom piping must be made for the turbo to intercooler plumbing.

That is pretty effective.

Easiest IC install I have seen was when I was using a Top mount from a turbo II RX7. Used some of the pipes from te RX7 and some piping from a mitsubishi conquest. Only real custom fab work that was required was a small spot of welding to attach the RX7 recirc valve.

With the RX7 IC..

82DSCF0037-med.JPG

With the WRX IC..

82ConReal_10-05-05_004-med.jpg

I'm with BoostedBalls on this one. Intercoolers are a necessity on GL-10s when turning up the boost. You will also need to get a higher flow fuel pump(inline type) and perhaps an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to increase the fuel flow. You can also go the custom fuel line route like Will(WJM) did to safeguard against uneven fuel distribution to the injectors. Just remember, the more power you want, the more it will cost. But you can't skimp on the important stuff. Keep your head in the game and remember to do your research. Also, asking questions here on the forum helps out too.

On a lighter note, if you are in need of an intercooler, I can find you a good one here for cheap. Just say the word and shoot me a PM if you are interested.

Patrick