Ultimate Subaru Message Board

help leaking coolant under the thermostat housing.

OK here's the deal I noticed I was leaking coolant underneath the thermostat housing. Found the leak and cut off the part that was leaking and reattached. Now it's almost to short. The other end attaches somewhere up under the intake manifold. Looks like it's gonna be a PITA to change. Anybody done this and have any ideas I'd appreciate it? I'm not sure how much longer this temporary fix will be that I have.

OK here's the deal I noticed I was leaking coolant underneath the thermostat housing. Found the leak and cut off the part that was leaking and reattached. Now it's almost to short. The other end attaches somewhere up under the intake manifold. Looks like it's gonna be a PITA to change. Anybody done this and have any ideas I'd appreciate it? I'm not sure how much longer this temporary fix will be that I have.

Your right, it is a PITA to change. What you need is a pair of real long needle nose pliers, maybe with a bend on the end. This will allow you to get the new hose onto the fitting thats under the intake. Otherwise, your alternative is to lift the intake and replace the hose :-\

Dont forget the spring clip on the end of the hose.

Your right, it is a PITA to change. What you need is a pair of real long needle nose pliers, maybe with a bend on the end. This will allow you to get the new hose onto the fitting thats under the intake. Otherwise, your alternative is to lift the intake and replace the hose :-\

Dont forget the spring clip on the end of the hose.

Exactly, it's really not that bad..just takes some patience, alittle cursing, and you'll have it done. After you do it a few times, you'll be able to do it in no time...had to change that hose on every single subaru I've owned pretty much right away.

IIRC, you may be able to remove the rubber intake boot and get access to it with a long screwdriver. That will only work though if the hose clamp is pointing the right direction (not likely, but something to keep in mind when you put it back together).

I believe I used fuel line when I was putting the intake back on after doing some HGs. A coolant hose that seemed like it should (had the right bend in it) was just slightly too big, and I didn't want to bother going back later to replace it.

Don't panic too much, just start moving things around and you should find a way to get at it without removing the intake manifold.