Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What's the worst that could happen?

At worst: 3/4" into the port may be far enough to cause coolant loss. I'm not certain where the water jacket starts, but that might be getting close to it.

At best: It will be more prone to problems in the future, such as if it gets overheated again it may crack far enough to start losing coolant through the crack.

I wouldn't run a head like that on my car, but it's up to you. You can always try it and swap out for another head if it's problematic.

I'm running a pair of heads that have cracks at least that far down into the ports. It dosen't look like the water jacket is anywhere near. The crack is just in the wall between the exhaust and the intake port, nothing in between. I plan on getting a head from a wrecking yard that is no good and cut it in pieces just to see where the water jackets are. I'll post the results.

What is the wost thing that could happen if I use my EA82T heads with the typical crack between the valve seats?

I have 5 EA82s none turbo. all but 1 SPFI. Most heads have the crack. They seem to run fine anyways. I check coolant and oil every weekend, to avoid overheating, which, in my experience, at minimum, blows a head gasket.

Dave

I saw seat cracks in mine (all 4 cyls). Had my heads pressure tested at a machine shop. After taking the valves out, cracks like yours - 1/2" on one head 3/4" on the other. Neither leaked on the bridge cracks, both leaked in the exhaust port.

I dunno what's the worst that could happen, but you have cracked heads.

My head gaskets and/or heads had been leaking for a while. I got lucky and found a pair of good gen3 heads at a JY for $25 each.

I would recommend you replace them, because they can't really be fixed. I also have no experience in this area though.

--Ed

why can't you just weld the cracks shut?

Joost

My understanding is that you'd have to remove the valve seat inserts, weld the cracks shut, grind it smooth, install new seat inserts, and grind them. Pretty much all of this would have to be done at a machine shop, and when you add this on top of getting the heads resurfaced like you should, it would probably cost more than buying a set of reman heads.