Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Change Cruise Control to ALWAYS ON?

I really like subaru's but one thing they really have done wrong is the cruise control. In my 95 Legacy, the cruise control is way way too aggressive when going up a slight incline, and it will kick into 3rd going 65mph pushing 4000rpms.

The other problem, which I'd like to fix is that you have to hit the CRUISE switch every single time you start the car in order to be able to set it. Why? I ask, why not have it always on? It's not like you can't cancel it after its been set, what is the purpose of this switch?

If possible I'd like to bypass this switch, or somehow change it so that its always on...anybody done this already or have any idea of how to do it?

I've taken the switch apart, but you can't hard wire it because it uses a relay or something that resets itself every time the ignition is turned off.

Mike

so you have a death wish.

You cant do anything about the way it operates, short of hot wiring the on switch. All cars have an on switch that is seprate from the cruise control. the switch is a hard power cut off in case something goes wrong with the cruise. Thgis is also a SAE design standard. Iver seen too many cruise controls get stuck (in other brand named cars) that without this switch the car would be a runaway.

As far as down shifting itno third, that is because its a four cylinder engine with an automatic. I found it annoying untill i discovered in hilly country to drive in D3 as it cut down on the hunting ofr gears. If you drove th car with your fot on the same roads you will find the same thing happening if you were to match the software curve. I have has aftermarket cruise control which would not downshift at all, it would just cut out.

nipper

Hmm... I guess that's a point, but it still seems to be within the bounds of sanity to offer a toggle switch instead of the Subaru, always-off-when-you-start-the-car type of switch so that if you're inclined to always use CC, you can but if something goes horribly wrong you could still switch it off. Make sense?

I think this would probably require an aftermarket toggle because the current design looks like all it does is toggle current to the solenoid/relay for the CC, its not like the foglights or the defrost switch which toggle current on or off.

What if I was able to rewire a junkyard bought defrost switch to my CC harness, and bypass the CC relay? Is there even a relay down there? I hear it click every time I turn it on but I tore the glove box out and couldn't see it so not sure.

Oh, and as for the death wish...well maybe so, but hey as for LIFE, well nobody gets out alive.

so you have a death wish.

You cant do anything about the way it operates, short of hot wiring the on switch. All cars have an on switch that is seprate from the cruise control. the switch is a hard power cut off in case something goes wrong with the cruise. Thgis is also a SAE design standard. Iver seen too many cruise controls get stuck (in other brand named cars) that without this switch the car would be a runaway.

As far as down shifting itno third, that is because its a four cylinder engine with an automatic. I found it annoying untill i discovered in hilly country to drive in D3 as it cut down on the hunting ofr gears. If you drove th car with your fot on the same roads you will find the same thing happening if you were to match the software curve. I have has aftermarket cruise control which would not downshift at all, it would just cut out.

nipper

Another thing I've been thinking hard about "How to make the cruise control come on every time I start my Liberty" Only one theory It came in my mind is, when you turn the key to Start position to startup the engine, was thinking about getting a wire from there to Cruise Control switch (by pass the wires) which will switch the relay to turn on CC? Wouldn't it work?

I have the same problem here, I drive on highway everyday to work. And I cannot live without CC!

Cheers

AP

i have no issue with having an on-off toggle switch, as long as you have some way of shutting it off.

i have a 97 OBW, and whats differnt from the 98 is that the rear defrost switch stays on and doesnt time out. It stays on even when the car is shut off (no power to it) which is real handy with the remote starter. Now if you can get one of thses switches, and do a gut exchange (switch the covers) it shold work, and still give you a complete power kill. Remeber you NEED to have that feature but i think it wil give you what you want.

nipper

i have no issue with having an on-off toggle switch, as long as you have some way of shutting it off.

i have a 97 OBW, and whats differnt from the 98 is that the rear defrost switch stays on and doesnt time out. It stays on even when the car is shut off (no power to it) which is real handy with the remote starter. Now if you can get one of thses switches, and do a gut exchange (switch the covers) it shold work, and still give you a complete power kill. Remeber you NEED to have that feature but i think it wil give you what you want.

nipper

That's the same idea I had and I think it would work! Now, I just need to know where that famed relay is...anybody ever seen it? I went digging around in the dash by the glove box but didn't see it, although not sure I would recognize it if it were right in front of me. Any tips here? I guess when all else fails we all have to go back and RTFM, which is probably what I should do.

maybe the cruise on/off button saves the cruise control system? either the solenoid, computer, cruise mechanism...something will last longer if it's not constantly powered or engaged?

on the older soobs (like my XT6) if you push the cruise control button on, it always stays on. but the button is still there to turn off if you want to. but i can hear the cruise control on one of my XT6's when it's on, not sure what i'm hearing but i hear something. subaru moved away from this on the newer models. my OBS is like you said, always off when you start the car.

maybe the cruise on/off button saves the cruise control system? either the solenoid, computer, cruise mechanism...something will last longer if it's not constantly powered or engaged?

I thought this would have been obvious...

Find me a car that has its cruise on all the time, needing only to be set. I've never seen one.

this really sounds too dangerous to me,say you were running 70 down the freeway,get off freeway driving thru town at say 30mph,if you accidently hit resume that sucker is going to be a hand full for a few seconds till you hit the brake or the car infront of you.

I thought this would have been obvious...

Find me a car that has its cruise on all the time, needing only to be set. I've never seen one.

My girlfriend's Volvo 240 has cruise control that is always ready, in other words...all you have to do is hit the set button.

I have to say some of you guys sound a bit sheepish with your, "It's so dangerous to have it on all the time!!" What are we here a bunch of ninnies? Ever try the brake to kill CC? or shift into N (auto)? and how many times exactly have you a) had the CC go wild on you and not be able to cancell it except by hitting the on/off switch on the dash, or B) hit the resume button by accident? The other question is, when driving with CC on at highway speeds then getting into around town driving, do you really reach down and turn the on/off switch off?

I'm sorry if I have offended, but this all seems like common sense to me and it really drives me nuts that Subaru engineered the CC in such a moronic way. Plussly, there's no real easy work around it seems (for those of us with a death wish, must be the Evil Kenevel in me).

er um we arent niinies. If you hit the kill switch it kills the vacume or power supply to ther servo overriding all the other power to the cruise control. I guess you have to be in a runaway car to apreciate that kill switch.... and yes at 70 mph all your going to do is fry your breaks as the cruise control tries to keep the car going at 70 if there is a malfunction.

nipper

My girlfriend's Volvo 240 has cruise control that is always ready, in other words...all you have to do is hit the set button.

I have to say some of you guys sound a bit sheepish with your, "It's so dangerous to have it on all the time!!" What are we here a bunch of ninnies? Ever try the brake to kill CC? or shift into N (auto)? and how many times exactly have you a) had the CC go wild on you and not be able to cancell it except by hitting the on/off switch on the dash, or B) hit the resume button by accident? The other question is, when driving with CC on at highway speeds then getting into around town driving, do you really reach down and turn the on/off switch off?

I'm sorry if I have offended, but this all seems like common sense to me and it really drives me nuts that Subaru engineered the CC in such a moronic way. Plussly, there's no real easy work around it seems (for those of us with a death wish, must be the Evil Kenevel in me).

SOME ARE SMART ENOUGH TO LEAVE IT LIKE IT WAS DESIGNED,THERES A REASON,IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHY CALL SUBARU.I ALLREADY KNOW.

SOME ARE SMART ENOUGH TO LEAVE IT LIKE IT WAS DESIGNED,THERES A REASON,IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHY CALL SUBARU.I ALLREADY KNOW.

All I'm saying is, why does the cruise control have to switch off every time you start the car? What issue of safety would this feature compromise? Do you know what SUBARU says about this one eh?

...er and how is it supposed to be so smart to NOT question the status quo? and authority, and all that tuneed?

I quoted grossgary about the reason why CC is not always engaged, so that makes it twice that it's been posted in this thread now.

Your girl's Volvo is the ONLY car I've ever driven or heard of that has the cruise on all the time, and I honestly believe that is a malfunction.

I quoted grossgary about the reason why CC is not always engaged, so that makes it twice that it's been posted in this thread now.

Your girl's Volvo is the ONLY car I've ever driven or heard of that has the cruise on all the time, and I honestly believe that is a malfunction.

It's not on all the time, rather it has a toggle switch to turn it on/off...but the key thing here is that if you turn the CC on, then restart the car, the CC will STILL BE ON. This is what I would like to see in ALL CARS, instead of the stupid way that Subaru does it now.