Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Which tires will you pick for your Legacy 2.5GT?

Greetings:

After shopping online for several days at Discounttiredirect, Tirerack and Tiresaving, I am still hesitating between these 3 brandnames. Beside Bridgestone, I never heard of the other two. Surpprisingly, none of these web-sites suggest Michelin. Are Michelin really that bad?

Kumho ECSTA ASX ~$435

Avon Tech M550 A/S ~$502

Bridgestone Potenza G009 ~$569

All price reflects S/H & Road Hazard

My criteria are Quiet/smooth ride, Good or Excellent traction on snow and wet road and if possible speed on dry pavement.

Any additinal comment and suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Greetings:

After shopping online for several days at Discounttiredirect, Tirerack and Tiresaving, I am still hesitating between these 3 brandnames. Beside Bridgestone, I never heard of the other two. Surpprisingly, none of these web-sites suggest Michelin. Are Michelin really that bad?

Kumho ECSTA ASX ~$435

Avon Tech M550 A/S ~$502

My criteria are Quiet/smooth ride, Good or Excellent traction on snow and wet road and if possible speed on dry pavement.

First off where are you located?

First off Michelin WEAR like iron and hold up to abuse!! BUT the Radial X's I had a on a '98 Legacy L wagon had NO lateral snow grip!!

I have a set of Kumho's on my '95 SAAB 9000 Aero 5-speed, 300 hp!! (205/55 R16) and they are GREAT in the dry for $55 tires! Have not had them in the snow yet. Rain they are OK, not fantastic.

Just put a set of BFGoodrich Traction T/A's for my Mom's '03 GT sedan 205/55R16. Tirerack.com and EVERYONE HERE rates them good at everything but many have reported loss of 1-3 MPG!! Only $400 OUT THE DOOR!!! the Car handles MUCH better on the BFG's than the stock Potenza RE92's!!

I'm running P215/45WR17 Kuhmo ASX All-seasons on my GT. Like them a lot. Good traction dry and excellent traction in the wet. Haven't had them in the snow yet...but it doesn't snow that much here so that isn't much of an issue for me. What tire rated highest in the snow traction on your list? Maybe that's the one for you.

None of the above.

I'd recommend

Dunlop SP5000's

or

Pirelli P-zero Nero M&S

both are EXCELLENT in the rain

My Dunlops were great in 4-6" of fresh snow

Long lasting as long as you keep the pressures up and rotate often

I'm currently running the Pirelli's and cant say enough good things about them

Yet to have them in the snow, but they kick arse in the rain.

Jamie

Greetings:

Kumho ECSTA ASX ~$435

Avon Tech M550 A/S ~$502

I put a set of Michelin Pilots on my '99 Legacy GT a few months ago. My most important consideration was also a quiet ride. I am pleased with the smoothness of these tires, especially because the lousy Goodyears that I took off sounded like old-fashioned snow tires (previous owner didn't rotate tires often enough). The traction of the Pilots in heavy rain is good but they haven't been on the car long enough to try them in snow (we don't get that much snow here anyway). For whatever reason, Subaru specifies an "H" rated tire ("H" rating is for speed up to 130 mph) on the '99 Legacy GT, but that car couldn't do 130 mph over a high cliff.......although I've had mine up to about 90 and it feels very stable with the Pilots on it.

Personally, for that kinda price I'd buy myself some used rims and get some nice snows then go with a Falken (cheap but nice quality owned by Sumitomo now) or even a Sumi for the other 3 months. I just don't trust that I'll have a set of tires long enough to last 70k w/o an issue with one of them making it necessary to replace all 4. If you must spend all your money then I'm with Jamie!

Greetings:

Kumho ECSTA ASX ~$435

Avon Tech M550 A/S ~$502

I have the Avon summer performance tires, the M500's, that I use on my Saab. They are terrific tires, with tons of grip in the wet and dry. The word over on Saabnet.com is that the M550's are also very good all-seasons.

Edit: comment on the Avons from saabnet (http://saabnet.com/tsn/bb/9-5/index.html?bID=121243) - I just replaced my Aero's Michelin Pilots with a set of Avon all season tires and I must say they are unreal. Less noise and a better ride. I have about 500 miles on them and the ride and wet traction is great. I am amazed, even after all the other reviews, that these are tires are as good as they are.

Thank you all for your advice and suggestion.

For members who mount the ASX, does it have a quieter ride that the stock RE92?

I am located in Northern NJ which has many snow storm in the last two years.

Regardless of the thread wear, I change my tire every two years or as soon as the car start to slip or the tail start to slide on a couple inches of fresh snow. So I think I am going to get the ASX for this time being.

By the way, I live in an appartment; so having another set of 4 rim and tires is not a suitable option.

I'm in NW NJ, looking to replace my RE92's soon (OBW has 60k on them and i don't think they'll do well in the snow this winter).

What kinda price range are you looking for? Two of the guys I work with have A4's one with Pirelli PZero Nero and the other with Continenal ContiExtremeContac, they're very happy with them in the snow and they perform well in the other conditions.

Those are a bit high in my price range so I've been looking at the Potenza g009's ($98), Traction T/A's ($100), and Yokohama Avid V4's ($107). Non-chain local tire shop price includes mounting/balancing/disposal.

As others have mentioned the Traction T/A's are a solid tire, great dry/wet performance and good snow grip (have them on my sisters legacy).

I'm going to try something new though, I've read lots of good things about the Yoko's but my wallet might make the decision with the ~40$ difference with the g009's.

I'll stop blabbing now :)