Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is there ANY way to tell if a HG has already been done?

I'm looking at a car... owner says that the Head gaskets were done by the dealership that he bought it from (said they bought it at auction). He doesn't have proof that they have been done, and its not that I disbelieve him... its just that I can't afford to take a risk in it.

So, bottom line... Is there any way to tell (without having to totally tear it apart) that its been done recently? I somehow doubt that there is, but barring that this guy will let me take it to my mechanic so he can check it... I need something.

And one other question... I've searched this and read up on it... Should I finally commit and purchase a car with a 2.5 (still looking at the 2.2's), how hard/ long of a job is it to do myself realistically? I'm not the best mechanic, but I think that with enough time and the right tools I can be handy...

I've looked at a couple outbacks, and liked one enough to bring it to a local mechanic whose never steered me wrong only to have him tell me that the engine was over-pressurizing the coolant system, which basically means bad head gasket. Does anyone know what tool he used to tell him this?

I know what to expect to have a shop do it, and I know roughly what parts would cost (obviously varying)... now I just really need a time estimate.

(oh, I took it back to the dealer BTW...)

Thanks again,

Kyle

Look at the heads of the valve cover bolts, are they scored at all?

Look at the underside of the engine and see if the grime, such as it may be, and see if the gaskets are different.

Look at the items you know would have been removed such as the intake manifold, exhaust manufold etc. for scoring on the bolts. Factory assembly seldom leaves marks on the bolts but most work does, not always, but if you see that it has clearly never been removed you know. Sometimes you see random paint marks (usually white) or rarely thread locker, look for those to be intact or broken.

Subarubrat is on the right track with his advice.

When they had the heads off they should have cleaned them, especially if it was a dealer, so the heads should look cleaner than the block next to them. The gaskets may also be shiny (they went to a metal HG on those right?).

I wonder if the guy could go to the dealer and have them pull up the service record for the repair.

if he had the work done at a dealer that he bought it from then contact the dealer that did the work. you'll also want to know the condition of the timing belts, timing belt pulleys (which should be replaced as well) and water pump.

if he refuses to tell you which dealer i'd walk away from the deal.

head gasket is a time consuming job and fairly involved. if you've done timing belts before then tear it up.

Did you ask the dealer that he bought the car from? Maybe they have a record of the repair on their computer that they can show you. This worked for my neighbor who was buying a used Infiniti J30 from a private seller who had all his work done at the local dealer.

There are photos of the two different gaskets in this thread:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=100257

Would one be able to tell which version was in the car visually based on their very slightly different shape? Sorry if that's a dumb question, I really don't know what you would look for on the engine, but they are a little different.

Steve

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the original HGs have three laminates and the new ones have four. The hgs are visible at various points on the head. It might require a magnifying glass, but you should be able to tell how many laminates the HG has. Four, and I'd guess they were done. Three, and I'd guess not.

Tom