Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru departure and arriavals

Hello everyobody! When it rains it pours, and around here, it's been pouring Subarus! I just picked up two new to me Subarus, and I am excited to tell everyone a little about them. First is a black 1984 Brat. This car means alot to me, because it is THE very one that got me hooked on Subarus in the first place! A guy in town had it, complete with red wheels roll bar, push bar, tubular rear bumper, and a back window full of decals. I ended up befreinding the owner, but when it did come up for sale,five years ago, I didnt have the money. I always wondered what happend to it. Well, long story short, I tracked the new owner down, just to see it again. Well, the new owner had enjoyed it for a little bit, but he go sidetracked and didnt do much else with it. So he offered to see it to me, and I bought it! I am in the process of getting it ready to be a winter driver.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=8805&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

By the way, the last owner kept all the "goodies" for his rust free Brat!

Then, as it so happens, I was helping a guy at the auto parts store I work at. He was driving a grey 86 Turbo GL10. I asked him how it was running, just to make small talk (and if I had it my way, all my small talk would be about Subarus!), and he said "$200, and its yours! It wont shift up into 3rd gear, and I dont know whats wrong with it." Well, I thought, heck, I can try to fix that myself, with the help of the USMB, and even if I cant fix it, that motor would be great in the Brat! So, I bought that too! I hope I can fix it though, the bodys pretty nice, and the wife wouldlike to drive it this winter.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=8806&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

But at the same time, I had to say goodbye to an old friend. Rust finally got the best of my first Brat, so I just parted it out. We delivered it to the crusher Monday night.:(

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=8802&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

But at least the parts from that will help me get the black 84 on the road! Thanks for reading mmy story! Kurt

Unfortunatly, the Brat is not a turbo, the first owner wanted the bottom stripes, and when he ordered them from the dealer, they kept getting the "turbo" decals by mistake! So finally, he just go feed up and put them on! The gl10 is an auto, and I hope I can get that transmission to shift right! That does have a turbo, and I want to enjoy it at some highway speeds!

Kurt

Whoa Black Betty, bra-ba-lam...

On second thought, I think I might just stick to calling it "the black Brat":) No, Chux, the shell is from my frist Brat, which looks exactly like my second "good" Brat. THe first Brat had too much rust, and so when I started looking for the next Brat, I wanted one just like my first one. I really like the grey with red "Brat" decal. Kurt