Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Roo Guards

Well we don't have kangaroos in California, but we do have "Road Rats", I mean, deer. So any of you mates have any good ideas on how to build roo guards? And where would be the best place to attach them? I would really hate to hit a deer with my 89 GL. After all, I have been driving a 69 Chevy truck for the last 18 years and I don't even lift off the throttle in it. No damage ever done, well at least not to the truck.

After all, I have been driving a 69 Chevy truck for the last 18 years and I don't even lift off the throttle in it. No damage ever done, well at least not to the truck.

Your Soob sits a little lower than the truck (I have a 70 Chevy, too). You might catch a deer on the grill with the truck, but it's more likely to hit the windshield on your soob. Lifting off the throttle might be a good option.

Your Soob sits a little lower than the truck (I have a 70 Chevy, too). You might catch a deer on the grill with the truck, but it's more likely to hit the windshield on your soob. Lifting off the throttle might be a good option.

Lifting actually makes the situation worse. As your bumper dives (under deceleration) the bumper gets LOWER making the deer MORE likely to meet you in the cab. Brake at first, but punch it just before you hit the deer... get the bumper as HIGH as possible.

Or just get a BFB (big ___ bumper) and don't worry about it. Go Mad Max style, and you could carry them right home on the spines. ;) Venison stew anyone?

Well, there's obviously the coming through the windshield factor, but for more glancing hits, the steel brush guard thing would be good. At least it'll keep the hood and engine and headlights from being all bent up. I'd bolt directly to the frame where the bumper mounts are.

There's deer that live on the road to my house, and I've come close to hitting them many times driving home at dusk. Unlike most deer I've ever seen this herd has learned not to jump into the road though, so most the time you go right by at 35, about 4" away from them standing motionless on the shoulder. Freaks me out when I do that...

I was thinking of building a guard that sticks up above the hood maybe 6" or so to help combat them from coming over the hood in the event I do hit one. It doesn't look like it will block my view any as when I look out the windsheild I'm looking at the road right in front of the car. Short of driving a tank, there is no way to stop some damage from deer. I was riding with a friend once and a deer jumped off a cut bank right in front of the car and we just missed it. Then another one jumped off the bank and onto the hood. Its just that the front of the car isn't built to handle a hard smack so I need something that can handle some impact. We wouldn't have as much of a problem if the people that have moved up from the city wouldn't feed the deer. There are just too many in a small area. I've killed three with the truck in front of one house alone. And i'm not the only one who has hit deer there. Sad but true.