Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Losing Power on 3 and 4 Cyls

98 OBW w/ DOHC 2.5L....just finished head gaskets, seals, valve job, timing belt., etc.'

Car drives fine for about 100 miles ...then drops 3 and 4....pulling fuse #14 (ECU backup) restores power for another 100 miles.

What can cause engine to lose cyls 3 and 4 like this....

Have replaced coil and ignitor with known good units...even replaced ECU..

Warren C.

At about 100 miles after clearing the codes, we get P1507 as a code. THis translates to "Idle Air Control underspeed error" or somesuch. Autozone pulled the codes (actually, they lent me the tool so I could), and looked up the resulting code (which came close to what was displayed on the screen). I suspect a dirty IAC valve, and perhaps VSS2. Now I do not loose the Cruise control when I get the CEL, so I suspect this is an intermitant problem if it actually is the VSS. I cleared the codes this AM, and got a CEL within 30 miles. . . Perhaps it is getting worse. . .but I did not loose power like I did the earlier times. . .

I'm also having an issue with the hydraulic clutch system. The clutch slave does not seem to hold the preload well (and I end up having to push the pedal almost to the floor to get any clutch action at all)