Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New grill....whatch ya think....LAST PICS

El Toro

today i had some free time and decided to fab up a new grill. im not sure if it will keep my car any cooler or give me any more protection from trail junk, but thats the great thing about fabrication. fab then fix fab then fix till ya get it right. let me know what ya think. i might paint it black or put the old star logo on im not quite sure. any how would not mind some opinions.

thiS is the old.......................

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3126&stc=1

and this is the new

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3128&stc=1

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3127&stc=1

by the way how do i post this as a pick and not a link?

EL TORO

lookin good. I like the idea of a mesh grille.

BTW - when trying to post a pic in a thread there is a "picture" button when you're typing the message. It looks like a postcard icon, just copy the address of where the pic is stored on the internet and post it in there.

thats not a bad idea on the light! the 2 i have on there now are to low anyhow and one is buster because of trail damage so that might work out. keep the input goin:)

I mounted two 100 watt offroad light from like walmart or kmart behind the grill of a dl. Worked great and stayed out of view of cops when they were off. I think the light were only $29.99 I did not have a/c in the car. That would have made them not fit with the condensor in there.

YOu can see them in this picture.

P0002453.jpg

:lol:

damn thief!!! I should have copyrighted the idea. ha ha!:lol: I like the more industrial look of mine though. state surplus. he he. hopefully ill have some pics tomarrow of how i mounted it. it was so simple even my lame but could do it! about the neon....thats a cool idea, i was thinking a strip of led's red in color that go back and forth, kinda like knight rider! that might be chezzey though:rolleyes: the 100w lights might be more practical for the puget sound area.maby i should do both! let me hear if yal think i should paint it or leave it be.

so this is the low down on the assem! first i took a sheet of mesh and made sure it fit without covering the lights. triming was done with a heavy duty pair of linemen dikes. then i backed off the bolts that hold the radiator and bent and pryed 2 sections down to fit under bolts.after that was in place i eyeballed the point where it would turn to go down to the bumper. then used a "special tool"( curb and body weight ) to bend it to the right angle. triming the lower part took time. i cut off one inch then another until it rested on the lip of the bumper. after cuting away a hole for the latch the progect was done. access to the lach is still easy but now i kinda miss the old star emblem....maby ill get it on there it some how.attachment.php?attachmentid=3145&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=3147&stc=1

hey that looks pretty sweet!

just a thought, maybe you should paint the little pillar/bracket thing going down the middle of the grill flat black, so you can't see it so much... give it a cleaner look i'd think...?

and maybe you should get an older suby logo... like from 80 or something? i'm pretty sure they all had a bigger logo then the newer wagons... might not look to bad with it on there...

either way, looks good!

thanks for the feed back, you right the grill is not for everyone. i have found that its 50/50 if people like mesh or not. opening the hood is quite easy though, since its a large hole mesh i stick one digit in a hook shape and turn. i know what you mean about the paint but i have been lucky so far.

Don't care for the grill. How do you get your paw in there to open the hood?

The paint job screams pull me over and search my car.

Credit you for being an individual and not a member of the sheeple group though.

Take care.

Jay

hey that looks pretty sweet!

just a thought, maybe you should paint the little pillar/bracket thing going down the middle of the grill flat black, so you can't see it so much... give it a cleaner look i'd think...?

and maybe you should get an older suby logo... like from 80 or something? i'm pretty sure they all had a bigger logo then the newer wagons... might not look to bad with it on there...

either way, looks good!

well i put your input to action! i painted the latch pillar black and you were right! looks way better. tonight i hope to fab a bracket to hold some fog lamps..........let me know how any of yal made a bracket to hold lights.....looks like i dont have mutch to ancor to.

El TORO

• 2 weeks later...